Chapter Thirty Four - Not A Prom Chaperone

CHAPTER 34

[Harry’s POV]

            “You don’t want to be a prom chaperone?” Mr. Duncan asked, “Why not? I thought you’d jump at the opportunity.” He leaned back into his chair and crossed his arms, looking at me carefully. One of the teachers who were going to chaperone got the flu and can’t handle staying up late into the night for the senior prom, so that’s why he asked me to take their place, but it just wasn’t a good idea.

            “I wouldn’t be comfortable there.” I said, being one hundred percent honest, “It’d feel strange – Niall being there and everything. It just isn’t a good idea, sir.” I was tapping my fingers against the arm of the chair while I waited for Mr. Duncan to speak. He was biting the inside of his lip and nodding to himself slowly.

            “Valid point.” He spoke, “Plus, if I’m hiding your… Whatever it is… With Niall from the rest of the staff and students, I for sure do not want you there at their prom.” We were both nodding. I was glad he understood, “I’ll find someone else then.”

            “Thank you.” I gave him a quick nod and stood; turning to leave, “See you tomorrow for the last bit of exams.” Before he could respond, I was already out side of his office, pulling my phone out of my pocket. There was a miss call from Niall, and out of habit, I hit redial. It only rang a few times until he answered it, “Sorry for missing your call, I was in Mr. Duncan’s office talking about prom.”

            “That’s okay, I was hoping you could pick me up from the mall? I was with Louis but then Liam met up and they ran off to have end of exams sex, no doubt.” I couldn’t help but snort, “And if you do get me, could we pick up some McDonald’s I’m kind of starving and need food to take my Tylenol.”

            “Of course, I’m just getting in my car now. Be there in ten minutes.” I smiled to myself and connected my phone to the AUX cable I had in my car and soon Niall’s voice was being emitted through my car’s speakers, “I have you on my AUX cable, we can chit chat while I’m on my way, babe.” I said, not really asking because I knew he’d be fine with it.

            “Okay,” He paused, and I could sense him smiling, “How were the exams? Which ones did you watch over?” There was a low hum of other people’s voices in the background so I had to carefully listen to what Niall was saying, but it wasn’t too difficult.

            “I was all over the place. Saw Louis and Liam. They looked concentrated and were doing all right. Not sure what they were writing actually, but they were hard at work. That end of exams sex will be well deserved.”

            “That’s so weird, Harry.” Niall spoke, and the tone of his voice told me he had a funny look on his face, “You’re talking about my best mates having sex.” The end of his sentence was whispered. Probably so the bystanders around him wouldn’t hear. I let out a defeated sigh and he started to laugh a bit.

            “Shut up, my goodness.” I shook my head, but of course, he couldn’t tell, “I’m shaking my head at you.” I decided to narrate my actions so he knew my thoughts on his witty joke.