Going into the Unknown: Part 2

Start from the beginning

Carissa nodded. What was she supposed to say to that? While she appreciated the gesture, it wasn't as if she were ready to trust her mother again anytime soon. "Thank you, mother. I appreciate that."

After a few seconds, the silence grew uncomfortable, and they both avoided eye contact with each other.

Carissa cleared her throat. "And I know I'm not actually your daughter."

Her mother nodded. "I thought you'd eventually find out."

More silence.

Her mother fingered the fringes of her shawl. "You plan to cross the border, then."

"With Elon."

"No entourage? No knights?"

"No, mother. Just me and Elon."

Her mother nibbled the edge of her lip. "People die when they cross the border."

"I have Elon. We'll be alright."

"He's just one man."

"But he's worth more than ten. Elon knows what will happen, and he's been training me to fight Reapers."

Her mother's laughter was worn in the middle and chipped at the edges. "You're not a warrior, Carissa. We didn't even let you hold knives before you... left us."

Carissa buried a wince. "Things have changed. I have Elon."

"But that doesn't change who you are, Carissa." Her mother's smile was sympathetic. "You're a farmer girl from the village of Hasita."

This was not how she'd wanted this conversation to go. "I'm a married woman now, mother. Where Elon goes, I go."

Her mother opened her mouth, then closed it. "I see. It's just... regardless of who birthed you, you are my daughter. I don't want to lose you to the darkness." Her mother's chin quivered. "Not again. Not after Zonah."

Carissa reached out and placed a hand on her mother's shoulder. Communication between them felt so awkward, stifled. Should she tell her mother she had to go, regardless of what she asked? Should she thank her mother for her concern? Or would that sound too false?

Her mother sniffed. "I suppose you're going anyway."

"I am. I'm sorry, mother. I need to do this."

Her mother nodded and stepped back, causing Carissa's arm to fall back to her side. "Then be safe."

"I will, I promise." Carissa stepped forward to embrace her mother, but her mother didn't so much as lift her arms. After a moment, Carissa stepped back again. "I suppose we should find the men?"

Her mother nodded, and together, they went outside. A chill breeze slithered through the grass, coming from the wall of darkness beyond. The sight struck her with both fear and awe. It was as if that part of the world had been severed, leaving a gaping black hole.

Her father and Elon were by the horse.

Elon lifted his gaze to Carissa's and lifted his eyebrows.

She shrugged in reply and stopped by his side. "Has the horse been rested long enough?"

Elon nodded. "I think so. Though before we set off again, I think you should change into a pair of trousers."

Surprise bloomed across her mother's expression. "I beg your pardon?"

Elon had the audacity to smile back. "It'd be hard for your daughter to fight Reapers in a dress, don't you think?"

Her mother fumbled for words for a few seconds before muttering, "I–I suppose so."