No Going Back

Do you understand the feeling you get when you’re about to leave school and go home? One word: Amazing. It was finally the end of the day, and the four us, meaning, Adam, Bree, Chase, and I were heading downstairs. Leo was at home, sick.

“Ooh. I’m so glad that school’s over.” Bree said as we walked down the steps. “Mrs. Thistle talked for an hour in history. She’s ninety-should she really be wasting that breath?”

As we started walking towards the school entrance-or exit- we stopped when we saw a bunch of students in line getting checked with those wands.

“What’s all this?” Chase asked.

“Listen up, frog spawn!” Perry shouted. “Security check. Put all the metal objects in the bucket, then proceed to the wands for a more thorough search.” She went down the line as students dumped their phones in a bucket.

“Principal Perry, what’s going on?” Bree asked.

“Someone’s been stealing laptops from the computer lab, so I’m gonna bust the perp.” She explained. “Or perps.” She eyed us. “Bottom line, no one leaves this school without going through those metal detectors. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna sort through the loose change and have a little heart-to-heart with the vending machine.” She started looking through the bucket as she walked away.

“Guys, we cannot get wanded.” Bree said, her voice panicky. “Those things will go off like crazy when they detect our bionics.”

My heart started racing. If they got caught, they would be taken away. I wouldn’t be able to handle that.

“Well, what are we gonna do?” Chase asked. “She’s totally gonna bust us.”

“Bust ya for what?” Perry demanded, running up to us. “What are you hidin’, Little Bo Peep?”

“Um-heh-he’s not hiding anything.” Bree said, stuttering slightly.

“Well, he does have an unusually large birth mark on his left hip.” Adam said. “You stare at it long enough and it kinda looks like Justin Bieber.” Chase gave him the ‘cut it out’ signal.

“Let’s go.” Perry grabbed his arm and dragged him over to the metal detectors. “Empty your pockets.”

“Principal Perry, I-“

“Comply, perp!” She snapped, cutting Chase off. He took out his phone and placed it in the bucket. “Wand him.” The lunch ladies started going up with the wands, and as soon as they reached his neck, the wands started beeping.

Adam, Bree, and I looked at each other, worry sketched on all our faces. My heart wouldn’t stop pounding.

“Well, what do you know? We got one.” Perry said. “Flank him, girls. The little ones always put up a fight!”

“This can’t be happening.” I murmured.

Xxx

“Everyone else cleared the checkpoint hours ago…So why do you three fleshbags keep settin’ it off?!” Perry yelled, looking at Adam, Bree, and Chase. I was wanded, but I obviously didn’t have anything to hide, so I was just off to the side. They looked so scared.

“You may not have the laptops, but you’re hiding something.” She continued. “Maybe another pat-down from Carol and Deb will make ya talk.” The lunch ladies looked at them, snapping their gloves on their wrist like a rubber band.

“No, no. We’re good.” Bree told them. “The first one already scarred me for life.” They went to walk away, but Perry stopped them.

“Don’t move! No one’s going anywhere till I get to the bottom of this.” She said, whipping out her phone. She walked into her office.