Breakdown

Here is an original chapter! Hope you enjoy it! This is kind of a sad chapter, by the way.

I was in my room doing homework for my Math class when there was a knock on the door. I silently groaned and stood up, walking over to the door. I wasn’t even close to finishing, so distractions were not my cup of tea at the moment.

I was a bit shocked when I saw that Davenport was the one behind the door. I honestly thought it would be Chase. “Uh, what’s up, Mr. Davenport?” I asked, moving aside so he could enter my room.

“I have some news, Alex.” He said, his tone a bit sad.

“Did something happen to Adam, Bree, and Chase?” I asked, my tone a bit panicky and frantic. I couldn’t imagine something bad happened to my friends.

He immediately shook his head. “No, no, Adam, Bree, and Chase are fine. But, um, your father isn’t.”

My body immediately tensed and my jaw clenched. “No disrespect, Mr. Davenport, but I don’t really care about my father. He’s in jail and that’s all that matters.”

“Alex, he’s not in jail anymore.” He said, causing my heart to stop.

“W-what? Don’t tell me he got released.”

“No, he didn’t get released.” He sucked in a breath before letting it go. “He’s dead, Alex.”

My breath hitched in my throat, my vision started to blur, and my head started pounding. But I somehow managed to stand still and speak coherent words. I didn’t understand why I was acting like this.

“Um, how did he die?” I asked, sitting down at my computer desk.

“There was a fight, and your father was stabbed multiple times. He died minutes later.” He explained, his tone sympathetic.

I nodded, not quite sure how to respond. “Alright. Um, if you don’t mind, I think I’ll finish up my homework.”

“Alex-“

“It’s okay, Mr. Davenport. I should be happy he’s dead. He made the past couple of years of my life a living hell, so why should I care that he got killed? Especially when he tried killing me.” I told him, my words coming out a lot harsher than intended.

“J-just know that I’m here if you want to talk.” He said softly. I nodded and turned around in my chair, my math homework the only thing on my mind. I heard him sigh before exiting my room.

“I’m happy you’re dead.” I muttered under my breath. “Now you can’t get me.”

Minutes passed as I continued to do my homework, but I stopped when my vision started to blur. I realized that tears were clouding my vision. Why was I crying? The person who tried to kill me was dead, and yet I was crying. I should be throwing a damn party. But no. I was crying.

“I need some air.” I stood up and grabbed a sweatshirt from my closet before walking out of my room. I ran down the stairs and entered the living room, all eyes on me almost immediately.

“Alex, where are you going?” Davenport asked, noticing my sweatshirt.

“I just need some air.” I told him, my voice slightly cracking. I saw the sadness in Chase’s eyes, but I quickly diverted my attention to the front door. “I have my phone, so don’t worry.” I quickly ran out the door before anyone could say anything.

I didn’t even know where I was running to, but I somehow ended up at the cemetery. I slowly walked through the gate and started searching for my mother’s grave. The Mission Creek cemetery was huge, but I had already memorized where my mom was buried. I used to come here every day for six months when she first died. I stopped when my father wouldn’t let me go anymore.