Parallel Universe

“Inventing the wheel? Boring! Discovering electricity? Snooze! Sliced bread? Lame! But now, Davenport Industries introduces the world’s first proton fuser!” Davenport beamed as he led us five teenagers into the lab. None of us were actually interested in this proton fuser thing, but Davenport looked so excited.  

So, guess what? My shoulder was officially healed! You had no idea the relief I got when I removed the stupid sling I was wearing. I felt free.

Davenport pulled off a huge white sheet, revealing a huge, weird looking machine. We all stared at the inventor, bored looks on our faces.

“You know, for a scientist, you would think your payoffs would be a bit more proportioned to your buildups.” Leo said.

“Uh, the payoff, is it allows us to see the origins of the universe.” Davenport said. “This thing fuses subatomic particles, so we can understand how planets form.”

“Well, we already know how boredom forms.” Bree deadpanned. I chuckled.

“Have you ever wondered where stuff comes from?” Davenport asked. “Galaxies? Stars? Planets?”

“This stuff? No. Onion rings; yes.” Adam said.

Davenport frowned. “Guys, I have always wanted to build this thing, and now it’s a reality. It’s an important life lesson. If you have a dream, believe in it ‘cause it can happen.”

“Um, Mr. Davenport.” Chase started. “Isn’t it dangerous to tinker with the fabric of the universe?”

Adam chuckled. “He said tinker.”

“Yes, technically it could destabilize the earth or open up a wormhole into a parallel universe…but I made it now and I wanna play with it.” Davenport excitedly said.

The crazy inventor started up the proton fuser and a blue orb appeared, connecting the two cones together. “Prepare to be amazed!”

“Or gravely injured.” Chase said. Adam stretched out his arms, backing us away from the machine. Leo hid behind Davenport as the blue orb grew. A second after, it completely disappeared.

“Once again; Big buildup, teeny tiny payoff.” Leo said.

Tasha came down to the lab, smiling. “Okay, the popcorn is popping and the movie is uploaded.” Leo looked at her funny. “Or downloaded.” She waved him off. “Oh, whatever! The red thingy is blinking green. Just head upstairs! It’s movie time!”

Grinning, Chase grabbed my hand and dragged me upstairs, Adam and Bree following. We all collapsed on the couch and waited for the rest of the family to come upstairs. I cuddled into Chase’s side and rested my head on his chest. He wrapped his arm around me and kissed the top of my head.

When Davenport, Tasha, and Leo came up, the adults came right to the couch, but Leo went over to the kitchen. He scowled at Tasha before washing the dishes. Oh, he was in trouble.

During the movie, we were all laughing at a funny part when Leo started inching his way towards the TV. Tasha noticed.

“Leo!” She exclaimed.

Leo let out a scream and dropped the dish he was holding, causing it to shatter into pieces. “I said no movie. First you won’t do the dishes, and now you break them?” Tasha questioned.

“Hey, you said you hate looking at dirty dishes, and that’s one last to look at.” Leo said. I rolled my eyes.

“That is it. No more TV for the rest of the week.”

“That’s not fair!” Leo started backing away. “By the way, I’ve seen this movie. I wouldn’t get too attached to the dog.”

“If you’re going to the lab, could you grab my phone?” I asked, realizing that I left it down there.