Never Anything

You could faintly hear the crackling of the fire beyond the trucks and scattered trees. The two stood there, looking out over the small lake in silence. The moon was shining off the water, revealing the few freckles Everly had left from the long summer months she spent hosting outside events for the firm. She looked up, only to see Cole was already staring at her. His blue eyes were mesmorizing, melting her heart every time she would look into them. She looked back out across the lake, not saying a word.

"So, how is the big ATL treating you?" Cole broke the silence, offering a half smile as he took a sip from his half empty beer can.

"Fine." Her one word answer seemed very stiff and cold, even to her. But she knew better than to divulge any great detail to him. He will just use it to his advantage and leave me again like last time, she thought to herself.

"Just fine? Hmmm." He smirked, shaking his head, " How long you back home for?"

She shifted from leg to leg, deciding whether she should tell him or not, "Until Sunday night."

Cole turned to face her, grabbing her arm and pulling her in his direction. He looked down at Everly with inquiring eyes, "How long are you really here for?" His southern voice, husky and low. He knew her all too well.

Everly sighed, "Until the middle of the week, Wednesday or Thursday or so."

He turned back towards the lake, watching the calm water as he took another swig of his Miller Lite. Stealing a sideways glance at her he shook his head and laughed.

"What?"

"Nothing."  He laughed even more, "Why's it always gotta be something?"

Everly looked at him for a moment before speaking, "It doesn't have to be anything, Cole. It never is anything with you."

"Now wait a minute, Evie." He replied, moving himself to stand in front of her. "It was something with me. It was something with us. I told you I had dreams of moving to Nashville and singing and writing music.....and you laughed at me. Really? It's always nothing?" He was now visibly getting irritated, his soft facial features becoming darker.

"Don't give me that. I told you I was leaving for Atlanta and asked you to come along. You stood there and said there was nothing for you in Atlanta. That included me. I was gonna be in Atlanta, Cole, and you gave two shits about it. You didn't even factor me into your plans!" Everly was shouting at this point, not caring who or what could hear  behind them at the bonfire. Noelle was close by a truck at the edge of the clearing, near the trees. She had heard the yelling and scooted off to make sure Everly was okay. She knew Cole would never do anything to hurt her. But she always had an eye out for her best friend.

Cole set his beer can down on the ground and took Everly's out of her hands. He set it next to his. He grabbed her small, freshly manicured hands in his big rough ones, holding tight.

"Baby girl, you know that's not what I meant when I said there was nothing in Atlanta for me, right? I didn't mean for it to include you in that nothing. I was already in the works of moving to Nashville and doing some side work selling merchandise. Anything to get my foot in the door. I asked you to come along. But all you heard was me, me, me instead of us, us, us."

Everly went to open her mouth, but quickly shut it as she replayed that day over in her head. She couldn't think clearly. Was he right? Was she only worried about herself and how it looked for her moving to Nashville with him? Did she only hear the me, me, me part of his argument? She didn't know if it was all the emotions coming back to her or the beer she had been drinking, but she was starting to feel light headed.

"I, I need to go." Everly pulled her hands out of his and began to turn around.

"Wait, where are you going?" Cole asked, reaching out to her shoulder to turn her back around.

"....home." She replied quietly.

"You had a beer. And I know how much of a lightweight you can be." He laughed lightly, "If you must go home, at least let me drive you."

Everly momentarily wished she hadn't even agreed to come out tonight. She always found herself in these predicaments. That's how she met Cole, after all, ten years ago at a house party.

She looked up into his eyes then sighed.

A/N:Sorry for the short chapter! Hope the few of you that have read this are enjoying it! And to hopefully more readers I hope you are as well!