Funny Business

The moon hung low, showing itself through the window of her bedroom. She stood in front of the full length mirror, adjusting her boots. She shook her head, ready to change in to something more practical, when there was a knock on the door before it opened. 

"Wooohooo. Who are you trying to pick up tonight, girl?" Noelle whistled, motioning for Everly to do a twirl in her spot. Everly rolled her eyes. 

"Yeah, yeah. Just felt like putting myself together." Everly insisted as she grabbed her phone. 

"Mhmmm, and my name is Mrs. Brantley Gilbert." Noelle teased, nudging her friend with her shoulder. 

"Alright, let's go before I change my mind." Everly rolled her honey colored eyes. The mascara she had applied showcasing her eyes in a whole new light. 

The two girls walked down the stairs one after another. Everly locked up behind her and hopped in Noelle's car. She sat quietly in the passenger seat, contemplating whether this was a good idea or not. She didn't want Cole to get the wrong impression. She would be heading back to Atlanta in a few days and wanted to do so with no strings attached. Her job was going to start picking back up for the holidays and she had no extra time for anything, especially a relationship. 

"Earth to Evie." Noelle waved a perfectly manicured hand in front of her friend's face. Everly shook her head, focusing back on Noelle. "Are you going to get out of the car, or did you come along to just sit in the car?" 

Everly sighed looking around at all of the vehicles surrounding them. She was so caught up in her own thoughts that she didn't even realize that they had arrived at the field. She hopped out of the car, fiddling with her fall colored sweater as she stood there. She was the epitome of October all wrapped up. 

Noelle waited for her at the top of the clearing. Everly wasn't too far behind. The sound of more trucks pulling down the dirt road in the distance. Laughing coming from the direction of the pond beyond the hill. Crackling of the logs being thrown in the fire was almost peaceful, quieting Everly's mind. The two walked with their arms linked, stopping by a Yeti cooler on the back of a jacked up pick up. Noelle grabbed a Miller Lite out and handed it to Everly. They cracked open their beers and took a long swig simultaneously. Everly held her drink in her right hand as she scoured the group of people gathered around. No pair of bright blue eyes to be seen.  

A pang of sadness hitting Everly. She was slightly disappointed that she hadn't seen Cole. He had said that he would be there. It was just like him to break a promise. Everly shook her head, annoyed. That's what she got for getting her hopes up, if that's what was going on here. She wasn't even sure what to call it. Noelle gestured that she would be back in a minute, leaving her friend alone at the edge of the hill before it sloped down to the dirt road below. Everly took another sip of her beer, almost spilling it's contents all over herself as a hand placed itself on her right shoulder. 

"I'm sorry, darlin'." His laugh cutting through the chatter among the crowd. 

Everly whirled around, her brunette hair falling in her face. She puffed a big breath, blowing it out of her eyes. "You almost had me wearing this Miller Lite." 

"How dare I. Especially on that nice sweater you're wearing." Cole eyed her, "And those boots. Man those are sexy." 

Everly rolled her honey colored eyes, her rosy pink lips forming a straight line. "Don't get any ideas, Mister." 

Cole lowered his head so that he was inches away from her. "Too late," He whispered in her ear, sending shivers down her neck. Man could he make her squirm. Always had. 

"Back it up, Mr. Swindell. No funny business over here." Everly gave him an all knowing glare. 

Noelle started to walk toward Everly, but noticed Cole had beat her to it. She hung back, finding another friend over on the other side of the fire. Everly insisted that nothing would happen with Cole again, but Noelle knew their story too well. And her friend. She always kept one eye on the pair, but knew she was in good hands with Cole. Something she was always envious of. Not that she wanted Cole, but she wouldn't mind a male figure to have around in her own life. Noelle looked back over at the pair, watching them walk off toward the pond.