52 | PROMISES

Jack Avery returned alone on Saturday of that week. Phoenix spotted him sitting next to his brother at the Quidditch game, Gryffindor against Slytherin, gesturing wildly while talking to him about something. It was Sirius' final game and Phoenix had promised to watch it, but she was unable to concentrate as she wondered when the brunette young man had returned and why Rabastan was still hiding, although he had been proven innocent. Professor Avery had told her that Rabastan would take some time off to come to terms with some personal issues, but until she saw Jack sitting in the stands she hadn't believed him. In fact, she still didn't believe him.

However, she tried to focus on her brothers and Dawn, which were sitting on their brooms above the spectators' heads. Sirius, who was the captain of Gryffindor's team, was constantly shouting at people, while Regulus was wearing a sour look on his face, as the seemed to be losing. Although her brothers had tried to explain the rules to her on so many occasions she still didn't really get it, but she knew that it would be hard to win for the Slytherin team, being several hundred points behind the lions. She felt Maureen tense next to her, when Will was nearly hit by a Bludger several times, and in the end Marlene McKinnon caught the Snitch and her brother flew closely by the Gryffindor stands cheering along with the crowd. Phoenix couldn't help but smile, although the other members of her house were swearing loudly and Maureen was covering her eyes with her hands.

"I was hoping so badly that they would win, considering it was Will's last game," the pink-haired girl complained when they walked down the stairs of the stands.

Phoenix smiled at her. "Well, at least he did not get injured."

"True," Maureen agreed. "I think they should make Dawn captain next year. She played so well."

"I don't think that will happen. If Will wasn't so nice, she wouldn't even have made it in the team. I don't think she will make it next year, although she would be their best shot at winning the Quidditch cup."

"Since when do you understand Quidditch?" Maureen laughed light-heartedly.

Phoenix grinned at her. "I don't, but I'm quite good at understanding people."

"Right, but doesn't Dumbledore choose the captains? He's fair, isn't he?"

"Most of all I think he's confusing. But I'm not sure if he does. He chooses the prefects and head girl and boy, but I'm not sure how it works with the Quidditch captains," Phoenix explained.

Maureen rolled her eyes. "Don't be such a know-it-all."

"You asked!" Phoenix laughed. She spotted Jack walking next to his brother and her face grew more serious. "Would you mind if I went to talk to somebody? I'll be right back."

"Take your time. I'll go search for Will to lighten his spirits."

"Alright, go do that," the brunette agreed absentmindedly.

She had to run to catch up to the Avery brothers and touched Jack's shoulder. He barely turned his head around, as he asked, "Yeah?"

"Where is he?"

"At home," Jack answered bluntly, when they entered the castle.

"What?" Phoenix exclaimed. "You can't be serious."

"Actually I am."

"Are you trying to torture him? It's the worst place you could have sent him."

Jack stopped, giving his brother a simple nod of his head that made him continue his walk. "It isn't. He has to deal with some things before he can come back and the manor is the best place for him to do so."

"Have you ever been there?" Phoenix countered. "It is huge. About twenty people could live there and still not meet each other for days and it's dark and cold. Our house is just the same, but smaller. You can't imagine how easy it is to feel trapped and lonely at the same time."

"Actually I can. You have to keep in mind that my family owns a mansion too, and a huge villa in the states. I know perfectly that it can make you feel lonely, but if it's empty it can also help you to calm down. You don't have to be anyone or anything." He paused for a second. "I believe that you are a good person, Phoenix, and I admire how much you care for him, but you will have to trust me on this. I've known Rabastan for a long time and I know about his demons. He's very similar to how I was when I was your age and I want to help both of you. I won't make him do anything that could hurt him."

"But if you know about his problems, why would you send him there. His family was the reason for it to start in the first place," Phoenix wondered, still not fully content with his reasoning, although she really wanted to believe him.

Jack offered her a kind smile. "I know, but the manor is empty except for their house elves. His parents won't return for a few weeks."

"Can I at least check on him?"

"I don't think that's a good idea. I'll visit him every day. I can give him a letter if you want," he offered with a sad smile.

Phoenix blew some air out of her lungs, nodding. "Alright, but please tell me if there's something I can do. I really want him to get better."

"All of us do."