Perhaps it was why she caught the sound of heavy paws making their way back so easily, was able to count with each stride the few minutes it would take for Jacob to reach back to the house. Edward had the door opened for him before he made it to the tree line, dropping fresh clothes on the steps before returning back to his wife.

Reyna didn't look as he entered, shuffling into the room to crash at Bella's side, falling asleep in almost an instant.

"He isn't very difficult when he's tired, is he?" She asked, tilting her head back just barely as she asked her question. Rosalie chuckled, coming to join her at the large window.

"He's not that bad," the blonde allowed, speaking quietly so that Bella could not hear them as she too slowly began to fall asleep. "I'll deny it avidly if you breathe anyone, but he isn't all that bad."

A soft laugh bubbled from her throat as she kept her attention fixed on her task. "Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be somewhat normal like him, ya know? I know that you hate this, Rose, but do you ever consider what it would be like to live forever with the chance to still grow old if you want? Embry sort of fragile compared to us, still just blood and tissue and bone. He can die in all the usual ways, in theory, and those genes had to come from somewhere so at some point those old wolves must have died."

"I think it would be very different if I was one of them. They can live forever as long as they keep phasing but can stop at any time they want, can have a family whenever," Rosalie sighed, resting her head against the glass. "They never had to leave their families behind to believe them to be dead."

Breathing deeply, Reyna worked not to wrinkle her nose against the scent, letting the smell of wolf wash everything else away. The forest was quiet, the only sound coming from the patrol of Leah and Seth as they raced. "I miss them so much sometimes and sometimes I barely think of them. It makes me feel like such a horrible person. The Alves family is mourning a daughter that is too scared to simply go and see them. Am I even Reyna Alves anymore? Do I even have a family?"

Arms wrapped around her firmly, pulling her close to lean against a firm shoulder with blonde hair brushing against her nose. "They will always be your family. Nothing can take that away, but we're your family too. If you want to remain an Alves that's fine, but you're also a Cullen now. It doesn't matter what you choose as long as your happy."

Her weight fell back against her, sinking even further. "I'm happy you came to get me from the forest. I have no idea what I would have done without you, I am very thankful."

"We would have come no matter what," Bella grumbled from the couch, her head lifting from where she was using Jake as a pillow. Reyna tried not to think of it and all the implications. "You're my best friend and I wasn't going to leave you to suffer."

Spinning back around, she squinted at the girl she believed to be asleep. Watching as he breathing stayed even as though she hadn't moved at all and was only talking in her sleep.

As though hearing her thoughts, Bella said, "I couldn't get their name out of my head."

Sitting up straight, she lifted herself from the floor to get a better look at her friend. "What name?"

The pregnant girl shifted, grunting as she tried to sit up comfortably. Edward was at her side in an instant, easing her up and handing her the cup as she reached for it. "My baby. I was toying around with different names and I was thinking for a boy EJ, for Edward Jacob."

Rosalie made a soft sound from behind her where she continued to sit on the floor, and Reyna caught her easy, happy smile when she turned back. It must have been something wonderfully painful for the blonde, to be so close to someone she cared for, her sister-in-law, pregnant when she could not, yet having the chance still to help raise a baby like she always wanted.

The subtle sign of approval made Bella grin nervously. Reyna inched forward in encouragement, shoving Jacob off the couch out of her way without a care for waking the poor boy at the moment. She was aware of Rosalie inching closer in interest.

"What the fu-"

She slapped a hand over his mouth, silencing him. "We're talking baby names. EJ for a boy, Edward Jacob, keep up!" Reyna hissed, a playful smile fighting to burst across her lips. "And for a girl Bells?"

"I was playing with our mother's names-" she looked to her husband then -"Esme and Renee, and I was thinking Renesmee."

It took a moment for her to understand what it was that her friend had said like it was a strange mash of letters that she tried incredibly hard to put hastily together. She supposed it was cute in some respects, the intentions behind it being remarkably pure, but the way the name sounded was more of a unique thing that wouldn't really be heard if not for another few years. 

The longer she thought on the name the more endearing it became to her. There was a strange thing about knowing that a baby was going to be coming into the world and loving it already as it was, and giving a name to said baby. it made everything so very real all of sudden, much more important as the being that Bella now created had an identity - they were little EJ or Renesmee. 

Bella sat still as they looked at her, biting nervously at the skin of her lip. Edward reacted first with a soft, loving smile that was sort of painful to look at with so many emotions on display like that. 

"It's unique," Jacob allowed, looking uncomfortable as he tried to find the words that fit. 

Rosalie smirked. "It is kinda cute, certainly fits the situation." 

Reyna found the way her chest ached like her heart was trying to beat heavy with emotion, a sting in her eyes that came with the tell-tale sign of tears. It was an overwhelming feeling of happiness that nestled itself between the skeleton of her ribcage, pushing outward, stretching her with a feeling of joy that threatened to burst free from her. 

She reached out with a hand, curling her fingers around Bella's frail ones as tightly as she dared. It was the only was she felt like she could express herself, like the contact between them would be able to share what was bubbling within. 

"I love it Bells, they're both perfect," she said, giving her friend a soft smile, one that was genuine as she tried her hardest to express herself. "I can't wait to meet whoever they are." 

The human grins, a wide thing that split her cheeks brightly and made her glow with a happiness that washed away the stress that had been set deep within her. She opened her mouth to say something when Reyna found herself stiffening, a lump forming in her throat as she flashed to the window, a hand pressing to the glass as she looked outward. 

It was a heavy fall of feet, fast and swift, many heading in the direction of the house, and she was able to count each fall of a paw hitting the earth. She tensed, the numbers of the pack forming in her mind as she realized with a snap what was happening. Alice called something from upstairs, Bella cried out in pain,  a resounding crack echoing in her ears but all she could focus on were the numbers of the wolves that approached the house. 

Looking back slightly, she caught the slightly desperate gleam to Edward's eyes, a pleading as their gaze met as he rushed from the room with Bella cradled in his arms - Rose and Jacob close behind. 

Reyna squared her shoulders before heading outside to stand before the house, a solid figure facing out at the trees as she listened to the thudding of their steps. She was aware of Jasper joining her, his presence steady against her nerves, welcoming as she sparked with a recognition of him, easily finding him within the group. 

Her hands twitched, a feeling a delight coursing through her when her gift flickered to life beneath her fingertips. She just needed to hold them back long enough for them to see reason. Reyna could do that much at least if it was for the protection of her family. 

°°°
Vote,
Comment,
& follow me on wattpad.

Unedited.

2018-10-06