Chapter Twenty-Six: The Storm Beckons

They traveled the next few days without trouble. Resources dwindled, tottering on the edge of hunger and thirst, but never did they have to go seek to replenish their supplies at a town. Hugo, Joss, and Amandalin were glad of it – they were almost sure that many Scavengers would be stationed there.

"This is it," Hugo said one day as they awoke and readied for the battle before them. "Today we will march, but tomorrow, we will fight." The explorer took a deep breath, unable to calm the jangled nerves inside him. "And then we will die honorably."

"Does anyone wish to turn back?" Joss yelled, walking to the front of the armies. "Because if you do, then do it now, because you will not find a chance to the day after today!"

Another murmur came from the crowd. It was clear that many wanted to flee, but the majority of them stayed loyal, causing those with wavering allegiances to remain, not willing to lose respect either.

"Is this it?" Joss asked after the commotion died down. "Does no one wish to leave?"

Nobody moved. The hermit nodded.

"Good. Then we will ride to battle. May luck favor our side."

A disjointed wave of soldiers muttering 'may luck favor our side' swept through the crowd, and they marched on, sword unsheathed, spears held high, shields buckled sturdily to them.

"We are going to die today," Amandalin said, strangely calm. "I have waited for this day. Through years of struggles and defeat, I have learned that life is not to delay the inevitable, but to accept it. What must happen must happen, and it is better to be ready than to be afraid. Let us die, and let our lives come to the end of the string."

"But we will die honorably." Joss didn't sound so sure this time.

Susan awoke groggily the day after Davis told her about the plan, only to see a concern-faced woman on the other side of their cell, chanting strange words under her breath as she slid his fingers in multiple shapes across the lock. The spy sat, half-sprawled, where she was, unsure whether the person in front of her was a friend or foe.

Susan only brightened as she heard a soft click come from it, and the woman released her fingers, looking at the lock hesitantly before softly opening the cell door. Beside Susan, Davis also stirred and woke up with a groan.

"Ayn? Oh, thank goodness you're here... I'm really in debt of you for what you've done today."

"Hush," Ayn muttered, and led them up the stairs, continually checking to make sure that they wouldn't make any sounds. Davis and Susan looked at each other, anxiousness in their eyes, and they stepped into the entrance hall of Gladwyn Castle, their ticket to freedom only several stone pillars away from them.

"You go," Davis whispered, gesturing for Susan to leave. "I have some unfinished business here."

Susan raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"I need to settle the score with my brother. You escape yourself – I'm going to try to steal Kazim's Blade. I'm pretty sure I know where he hid it, after all."

"You'll get killed!" Susan hissed. Davis shook his head.

"Perhaps I will. But I need to try. This might be our best chance of actually getting the artifact, after all, and I..." Davis gulped. "I am only one life of many. And if I am to die, it will only be me."