Chapter Seven: The Flight to Issenhal

The bony man twisted in Davis' grasp for a moment before he finally gave up, cursing the leader. "So I stole the food, okay? I stole the food, and I admit it. But did any of you actually care if I did? No, all of you could last days with empty bellies, but you wouldn't want to. I have lived for years with only the smallest scraps to keep me alive, while all of you bathe in luxury. I stole the food and I don't regret it!"

The man went on, ranting, and finally broke free of Davis' grasp the moment the leader purposefully loosened it. Regaining his breath, he brushed one of the long, snake-like cords of drooping hair out of his line of vision, and stood where he was as if he were a soldier about to face an army head-on.

"Are you going to let him go?" Susan asked, walking over beside Drea and waiting expectantly for the man to take off.

Davis looked at the man, giving a look that clearly said You wouldn't dare, and then shook his head. "I doubt he would. Besides, we're his food source, so even if he does run, he won't be too far off."

The man grumbled. "You think you have me all figured out, don't you? Well, what if I do run away? Oh, enough of all these tricks!... will you be willing to share your food with me?" The man abruptly rolled his eyes. "What am I saying? A person with everything he wants... sharing food with a mangy flea-ridden dog? Only in my dreams!"

"He's making an offer that we can't put down," Susan whispered to the explorer beside her. "Unless we're savages without a conscious, that is." The last part was coated with bitter irony in the spy's voice.

Are we? Drea asked herself and then shook her thoughts away. Davis sighed and, continuing to look at the man intently, said: "I suppose we could use someone like you on our side. And besides, I'm sure that there's more than what meets the eye to you if you were so cunning as to steal food from us. Which I'm wondering – how did you?"

The man, clearly pleased, gave a toothy grin that revealed his rotting teeth inside. "Simple, really. I eat how a tiger eats – for all the days without food, I make it up with one day of food that'll last me for quite a while. Oh, stop looking at me like that. I didn't use up that much food... but really, all of you were careless with where you put your belongings. All I had to do was sneak over to the horse and snatch a few cans. It got a bit harder after the purple-demon incident, but really, in the darkness, slipping into your tents were easy."

"But we had patrols!" Davis exclaimed, inwardly embarrassed at the man's story. "It couldn't have possibly been that simple!"

The man shrugged. "Like I said, I had the cover of darkness. Besides, the patrol was too busy making sure Susan escaped to actually notice me. Just as a precaution though, I only stole things when I knew the coast was entirely clear."

Davis looked at Susan, who was evidently surprised that the man knew his name.

"That concludes my story," he said, and they found themselves caught awkward silence as they acknowledged each other with their eyes.

Davis finally sighed and jingled the money pouch attached to his belt. "We could spare a few coins to buy extra food, I suppose."

"I take it that I'm on board, then?"

Davis nodded with slight reluctance. "I suppose we better get to know each other and all, then. Care for a drink downstairs?"

The man grinned again. "Ah, how long it's been since I've ever tasted anything of that sort. Forgive my manners – call me Joss. Joss Deorádhan, though I'd like it if you don't say that last name. Some people... know me too well."

Davis slapped Joss on the back. "Well then, Joss! Drink's on me if you wouldn't mind having a pint of beer. Drea, you keep watching Susan, and if you ever need help, yell."