𝖲𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗇𝗍𝖾𝖾𝗇

Ever since that snowy day in Hogsmead, I gave Draco as much space as possible.
I wanted to confront him, and tell him that I knew what he was hiding. 
But I couldn't.

I was going to salvage any amount of self respect I had, and honour the promise I had made to myself at the beginning of the year and not talk to Draco. Even though I broke it countless times already.

But Draco wasn't making it easy for me. I'd catch him staring at me from across the great hall, his gaze unwavering and mysterious.

Or he would stare at me in potion, like right now. I was trying my best to brew Veritaserum , while under the intense gaze of Draco's eyes. To put it simply I was having a little bit of trouble.

Why was he staring? What was wrong with him? He was the one who said it 'wasn't meant to be' and that I should 'just let it go' and now he won't stop staring at me!To put it simply, it was starting to get on my nerves. And it was ruining my concentration.

I groan in frustration as I once again add the incorrect ingredient to my cauldron. It starts to shake violently, emitting a loud clanking sound. "Ms. Webster! Did they not teach these types of potions at Ilvenory?" Professor Slughorn asks, staring at my cauldron with a mix of bewilderment and disappointment. "No sir, i'm afraid all the potions I brewed at Ilvenmory were fourth year level" I reply, trying to hint at the fact that there was no possible way we would've bewed a potion as complex as this one, seeing as I was in fourth year...

Professor Slughorn looks at me with pity, "Very well. Get Mr. Potter to help you out, seeing as he's top of the class" I raise my eyebrow in surprise. Top of the class?

"very well sir" I say as I get up from my station and walk over to Harry. He practically had the textbook right up to his face, unaware of my presence.

"I thought glasses were supposed to help you see, not the opposit" I say, announcing my presence.  He takes his nose out of the book and looks up in surprise "Alice! Hey" He says, shutting the book quickly "how can I help you?"

I smile sheepishly, "Professor Slughorn was wondering if you could help me out brewing this potion, seeing as you are top of the class and I've been having..." I look back at my cauldron to see it oozing a concerning green liquid, "some trouble."Harry shoots a smug look Hermione's way, before following me to my table.

"Alright, lets take a look" Harry says, looking at my potion in the cauldron. His expression turns from calm to concerned in a matter of seconds. "Careful Harry, it's been known to explode." Seamus comments.

I snort and glare at Seamus, "that's rich coming from you, Finnigan. It was one time! I was having an off day." Seamus smirks, proud he was able to get a reaction out of me, "Is today another off day, Webster?" I sneer sarcastically at him before turning back to Harry, "Well? Is it possible to fix?" I ask, hopeful. Harry shakes his head, "Sorry Alice, you've ruined it." I sigh in defeat. Harry places a comforting hand on my forearm, "If it makes you feel any better, I think Slughorn is mixed up. First of all, it takes 28 days to brew Veritaserum. Secondly, we have to brew it on a new moon, but it isn't a new moon today. So this is all just pointless."

I chuckle softly, surprised. "You really are good at potions!" Harry shrugs, and points at my open book,"It kind of says right there. I just read it off of your textbook" I shake my head, smiling, "well then. I stand corrected. You are really good at reading from a textbook" Harry winks at me, and adjusts his glasses, "well, I am top of the class. Something that you aren't"

My jaw drops, and I lightly smack him with the textbook, "You take that back!"

He shakes his head "sorry Alice, but this?" He gestures to my Cauldron, "this isn't top of the class work."

I tilt my head to one side, blinking in disbelief. "Sorry, Harry. Just to jog my memory, I am the one who got 110% on Flitwicks Charms exam. The same one you got 58% in, right?" Harry glared at me playfully, "we don't talk about that test."

I nod, trying to conceal my grin. "Oh, right, Sorry. I forgot we can't have people knowing that I'm better than The Chosen one in Charms." I grin playfully at Harry, before putting my textbook back in my bag.

Harry walked back to his station to clean up, and Seamus leans in to whisper, "I can't believe my ears, but were you just flirting with Harry?"

My eyebrows shoot up and the sheer ridiculousness of his accusation, and I drop my bag on the ground "Seamus, I didn't think you could top yourself, but you did. You have outdone yourself by saying the most dumbest thing i've ever heard, and i've heard you say some dumb stuff" He glares at me over his cauldron "shut up Webster" But I could hear Dean snicker from beside me.

Once we had cleaned up all our potions stuff, I went back to the Gryffindor common room.

I drop my book bag onto the ground and flop onto my bed. I sigh in relief as I feel my muscles start to relax into my mattress.

I was about to drift off to sleep when there was a tapping sound at my window. I drowsily get up and open the window, and jump back in surprise when I see an owl perched on the windowsill, glaring up at me.

It had two letters in its beak, and it drops the letters at its feet. With one last glare, the owl spreads its wings and flies away. I frown, I didn't recognize the owl.

I grab the two letters, and flip them around. There was one addressed to me, and the other to Hermione. My brows furrow into deeper confusion, and I place Hermione's letter in her bed.

I am about to lay back down onto my bed when there is another tapping sound coming from behind me. I turn to see yet another owl perched on the windowsill.

I sigh deeply, recognizing the owl. I was tempted to shoo the owl away, and not even take the letter. But I felt a twinge of guilt, the owl flew all this way... it would be rude not to take it.

I grab the letter, and give the owl a nod of thanks. It glares up at me and ruffles it's feathers before flying off into the sky.

I close the window and grab the two letters, falling back onto my bed I begin to open the first letter I received.

I open the first letter, and I am greeted with messy handwriting in green ink. From what I could decipher from the horrid handwriting, it was an invitation to Slughorns dinner party. It was tonight at 7

I place the invitation on my bedside table, and open up the second letter.

Usual Place. 7 Draco

I practically glare at Draco's letter. I was almost convinced he was playing games with me. What logical human being tells someone to leave them alone, and then asks to meet up?

Unless... was he finally going to tell me what he has been hiding?

I sigh in frustration, did they seriously have to be at the same exact time? I bite my lip, I would have to decide if I wanted to go to Slughorns party or meet Draco.

The curious side of me wanted to meet up with Draco, to see what was going on and to see if my hunch was right.But the logical side was saying to go to Slughorns party, and to not give Draco the time of day.

A surprising course of anger shot through my body. Why was I even debating this? Of course I was going to Slughorns party! I wasn't about to jeopardize my academic career just to chase after some boy who constantly hurt me and turned me down.

I angrily toss Draco's letter into the fire, and begin getting ready for the party tonight.