Chapter Six - The King of Dreams (Part 3/4)

It was something his father used to sing. He'd probably written it for his mother back in their high school days in an attempt to impress her. He'd written several poems and songs trying to gain her attention.

The spider lilies bloom.

As the months of Autumn come to lie,

The banks of grief from mid-July.

It's time to watch the summer die,

Now, the cursed flowers bloom.

Until the frosted reaper come,

And in gloomy sheaves of grey,

Shall claim the cursed blossoms slain.

Goodbye again.

Just you and me,

Trapped inside lost memories.

Then meet again someday.

Someday...

Elliot had heard his father sing the song enough times that the words had been burned into his soul. His father had always claimed that it was by far his worst work. Perhaps not the words, but the rhythm of the song itself was simply too out of beat and awkward when paired with the words that it gave the poem a peculiar sort of sound. But it was his mother's favorite.

He'd never heard mention of spider lilies outside of his father's song, so he'd looked it up long ago, bewildered by the flower and why his mother seemed to find them so romantic.

Of course, spider lilies turned out to be a symbol of death and hell. A blood-red flower famous for blooming in graveyards.

Spider lilies haunt my dreams.

"Where did you hear that song?" Elliot finally asked Slomoe, "The one you were humming?"

Slomoe appeared amused at the question, setting down the tea he'd been slurping.

"Where do you think? Elliot Crow, Elliot Crow, there are many Elliot Crows out there. But I know which one is which." Slomoe tapped his head, a smirk playing on his lips that reminded Elliot of Sam when he was about to try something that might impress either him or Melisa.

"I am the King of Dreams!" He spread his arms out wide, "Of course I would know! It is the one song that was written for you, ya know?"

Elliot furrowed his brow,

"My dad wrote that song for my mother."
"No, no, no." Slomoe shook his head, "Are you the King of Dreams? No? I am, you say? Well then, I certainly know what I'm talking about. Your father dreamed that song just before you were born. He wrote lots of poems and songs for your mum, but that song, in particular, was meant for you." He pointed at Elliot who was thrown for a loop momentarily.

His father had written that song for him?

"Wanted te write a song about new beginnings. He thought ye'd be a bit like your mum. A bit uncertain, at first before you grew out of it and figured out who you were. It was a nice dream, of course."

Elliot tried not to feel insulted, but it felt like he was being told that he hadn't lived up to those expectations. He wanted to lash out before a sense of gloom fell over him. Maybe he really hadn't lived up to his father's dream. He wasn't sure of himself. Most people weren't of course, but he was starting to realize that he really didn't know who he was.

He'd gone most of his life so focused on trying to be normal that he hadn't really contemplated his own identity. Now, in a world where it seemed quite normal to be at least a little bit eccentric, Elliot found himself with time aplenty for such ponderings.

He looked down at his empty teacup. He hadn't poured anything for himself, but he found himself craving something to sip on.

"Might I have some tea?" Elliot looked up at the king who smiled in an amused way. Though Slomoe seemed to be amused with everything anyways.

"Of course. Catch!"

Elliot barely had time to think before the tea pot was slid across the table towards him. He quickly grabbed the handle.

"Good, good. Excellent reflexes." Slomoe nodded approvingly.

Elliot poured himself some tea to drink, before sliding it down the table back to Slomoe who refilled his own cup. Elliot took a sip. It was a sweeter concoction and he actually found that he enjoyed Trinket's blend better.

Only two days and I'm already acquiring a taste for tea, Elliot thought to himself.

"Before you go to the realm of reflections," Slomoe interrupted himself, "Let me give you a bit of advice." He leaned forward onto the table, staring at his cup and swirling the tea around in a luxurious sort of way. He looked back over at Elliot, "Always believe in yourself. You won't survive long if you don't."

Woo! So, that's the third part of the preview. I nearly forgot about putting it up this week (yeah...sorry about that) I was thinking about putting up another preview on Wattpad. My second novel is coming out soon, it's a little different from Elliot Crow...and at the same time it's quite similar.

It takes place in the same universe but the characters are all different...well, I say all different, but there are a few old faces that might pop up. Like Trinket. I like Trinket 😊

Anyways, one more part to go! I swear I'll remember to post it by Friday this time!