I waited for a few seconds, but when I got no response, I put the phone back into my back pocket, untied Bear, and we headed home. On the way there, I felt my phone vibrate, but resisted the urge to check if the message I'd gotten was from Alec, just like how I'd resisted the urge to invite him over on the day he'd asked me to.

I didn't want to appear eager, so I'd set our date for a few days later...

I stopped walking, dropping the paper bags and making Bear halt and bark at me.

Date?

Did I just seriously call it a date?

It wasn't a date, at least not a real one.

No. It wasn't any type of date, real or fake; it was just someone coming over for dinner. It was purely an exercise in me building up my Alec tolerance and maybe in finding something human and good about him.

Nothing more.

Definitely not a date.

Bear's surprised barks had turned urgent now, and he was worriedly bouncing around me so I leaned down and petted his head to reassure him that everything was alright before I collected the bags, and recommence walking home, telling myself over and over again that I did not have a date tonight.

"Want to cheesy watch a movie and hate on it together?" Vika asked when I answered her call.

"What about the French girl?" I asked, intentionally avoiding using her name, just to irritate my cousin. Vika was the one person I usually didn't do this to, but her girlfriend had taken up so much of Vika's time lately, that my cousin had turned down a few calls from me because of the French wench.

"Marie is in London for a photo shoot," she explained calmly, ignoring my attempt to annoy her. She knew me too well to give in this easily.

"How come you are not with her?" I got off my bed and opened my wardrobe. "You are pretty much joined at the hip these days."

"Jealous?" She chuckled and I snorted rather convincingly.

"As if. You'll get tired of her, but I'll always be the only relative you don't want to run over with a tank." I pulled a tight white t-shirt out of the wardrobe, gave it one glance, then put it back in. I'd decided to go with black and white tonight, but I didn't feel like wearing t-shirts.

"Or poison and watch them take their last breaths while convulsing at my feet," she threw in casually and I smirked.

"That sounds like a fun option," I admitted and pulled out a pair of skinny black jeans that did my ass justice.

"So, about the movie?"

"No can do," I replied, taking out a white tank top and throwing it on my mattress, next to the jeans. I'd pair the two items and add my black leather jacket. It was a simple outfit that didn't make it look like I'd put any effort in picking it out, but it would still be an effective way to tease Adrian.