Twas the Mission Before Christmas

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes. “You just wasted a few seconds of our lives that we’re never getting back.”

“Wait. The tundra’s near the North Pole.” Adam realized, then gasped. “Santa needs our help! You wrap, you tape, I’ll go hang with the elves.” He told his siblings.

“Dr. Evans. Are you there?” Davenport asked, his eyes fixated on the screen in front of him. I assumed he was trying to get in contact with this Dr. Evans.

The screen became clearer and a man with a beard appeared. “Yeah, I’m here. Although there’s been a major volcanic eruption nearby and we’re experiencing aftershocks.” As he talked, the screen became blurry and the audio was failing. “I’m afraid if we don’t act fast-“ The picture failed once he said that, and he was gone.

“Oh, Merry Christmas to you, too, Dr. Evans.” Adam said sarcastically. “Rude.”

“Sorry, guys.” Davenport apologized. “I know the timing’s not ideal.”

“It’s okay, Mr. Davenport.” Chase assured him. “We know what we have to do.” He looked at me and I gave him a weak smile.

Our first Christmas together, and we wouldn’t even be spending it together. Did the universe hate us?

“Yep. Let’s crack open some eggnog and hit it hard after the New Year.” Adam said, then ran out of the lab.

Xxx

I watched as the bionics stepped out of their capsules and grab their mission bags, checking them to see if they had everything.

“I can’t believe you guys have to go on a mission on Christmas Eve.” Leo complained. I tried to not show the sadness on my face, but it was hard.

He turned to Davenport. “Just to be clear, we don’t have to wait for them to open our presents, right?” He asked Davenport. He was referring to the two of us. Davenport rolled his eyes.

“Well, I’m not gonna let this ruin my Christmas spirit.” Adam said. “So, I will be wearing my Santa hat.” He reached into his mission bag and pulled out his hat, placing it on his head.

“Really, Adam?” Chase questioned. “A Santa hat with a mission suit?”

“Hey, if the ladies at the bank can wear them at work, so can I.”

I rolled my eyes at Adam and looked at Chase. He had a sad look on his face, but I just shook my head and smiled at him.

“I can’t re-establish contact with Dr. Evans.” Davenport said. “The volcano must have knocked out satellite communications.” He pulled up a holographic image of the area. “This giant ash cloud has plunged that area into total darkness. There is no way rescue teams will be able to get through.”

“Well, that means Dr. Evans is trapped.” Bree pointed out.

“Eh, he’s better off. The airports are packed this time of year.” Adam said.

“There’s an automated transport ready to take you up there.” Davenport told his kids. “But without satellite communications, Leo, Alex, and I won’t be on the comm set.”

“Ah, well, it will be tough navigating through a mission without the constant sound of Leo chomping on carrot sticks.” Chase said. He looked at me and gestured for me to go to the side of the room. I nodded and did what he wanted.

“What’s up?” I asked.

“I just wanted to make sure you were okay.” He said softly. “I mean, this is our first Christmas together.”