Makurow watched as Zip searched Wonderer's eyes. "Let's give this time," Makurow interjected, "If I had known this was coming I would have not taken that time to think to myself..."

"You did enough," Zip said.

"Don't give me your pity," Makurow retaliated, "We will be safer when I finish my robot." Makurow looked up to the sky—the sun was positioned right by the horizon—I would take a couple hours before night comes. "And I'll get it done by tonight. If the darkness is strong enough in the dark, they're probably going to come back."

"Most definitely"

Wonder and Zip looked at each other worried. "At this time I don't think one robot will be enough," The Wonderer insisted.

"Then I'll do you one better, I'll make two robots by tonight."

"Are you sure?" Zip questioned, "You aren't even close to finishing your first one."

"No worries—I can build in less than a second—all I have to do is finish the first copy," Makurow said, looking at the electronic strapped to Wonder's chest, "I will need the console to sketch my ideas down."

"But I'm not done making the memory chip," Wonderer said, unbuckling the strap from his body and holding the contraption in his hands.

"Like I said: All I need is one sketch." Makurow grabbed the console from The Wonderer's hands.

***

A silent observer sat over a hill million miles away from the camp. its body was hollow and see-through. its head hung low over its chest and wielded a mighty grin, reaching from cheek to cheek. Teeth white and eyes brightly glowing red. "Makurow," it whispered, followed by a chuckle accelerating into maniacal laughter.

The observer slowly approached the camp as the loud banging of hammer fell and metal plate clashing, rang all through the valley. "Music to my ears," it chuckled, placing its hand on the ground. It spun the world on its fingertips, placing itself right at Makurow's door. It lifted its fist to knock on the door but as he swung it stumbles right through it. The door was unaffected and also was the observer, who stood up straight, or as straight as it could. "Hehe, I'm home!" It exclaimed.

Makurow sat at his workbench with a fully covered robot lying on the table. The observer walked over to Makurow and pulled up an invisible chair, it sat in 'The thinker' pose. "Do you know what I think Makurow?" It asked, wiggling its finger at the robot. Makurow was totally unaware of the observer's presence. It got up and walked into the table, morphing with it and the robot. "I think you are scared," it said as it began to hover over the hollowed, metal body. "And I know you have done this before." Makurow sat staring at the robot, as if he was hoping something magical would happened. "It looks like you have done it, in fact," the floating being exclaimed, "but it seems like time is running out." The being's eyes shifted to the sunset. Then it shifted to sit in mid-air looking out the window. "I could help." Its body rotated to face Makurow.

They both sat silently, while the floating being continuously mouthed the word "C'mon" hoping Makurow would get the message.

Then finally, "I have failed them," Makurow stuttered, feeling the rock in his throat. "What am I going to do now?" Makurow pulled out the console from under the table. He examined it furiously. As he rotated it, the being noticed a button on the side of the contraption. The being enthusiastically pressed it. Makurow was shocked as the console opened and the schematic reveals itself.

"Now would you look at that, huh?" The observers grin grew.

"Everything was perfect," Makurow complained, "Why didn't it work?"