Chapter Twenty-Two NALA'S POV

I tried to move but my muscles wouldnt react. I tried to open my eyes but they remained sealed. So this is what death feels like I thought.

In my mind, I reached out for Nina.

Nothing.

She was gone. It felt like I was missing half of my mind. I couldnt move anything. I couldnt think straight and I couldnt focus on the humming sound that surrounded me and the noises I knew were fading from my mind. The only thing that reminded me I was alive and even that was fading from existence.

Nala?

I woke from a darkness within the empty void of my mind. Was that possible? To go to sleep within a sleep? Nala?!? a voice cried.

Nala you have to wake. Nina! Nina was okay. Did that mean I was okay?

The first thing I heard were the thrum of heart beats. Most were steady but one stood out from the rest. It sounded almost like the beat of modern music that changed the time signature here and there. After a time, I began to hear the thrum of a different sound, like voices. I concentrated and listened in to the present conversation.

much time. Her wolf is strong but she is not.

A snarl ripped through the room. I could hear growls and could smell the fear, the fear that polluted the room.

What are you saying James? Theos voice growled. I swooned in response to the coo of his voice. What? Is she weak? ARE YOU CALLING HER WEAK?

I knew Theo was going to lose his temper if he hadnt already so I tried to move, let him know I was okay. But the yelling and the crashing told me I was too late. His muffled yells told me they had dragged him out.

Knowing he wasnt in the room made me feel as if my motive wasnt in the room. If I was going to live or move it was going to be for him.

Luna?

It was a mans voice. It made me feel a little uncomfortable because I knew from the breath on my ear, he was very close to me. Luna? Can you hear me? I can see your eyes darting underneath your eyelids honey. You must move. If you dont make some sort of change, you will slip.

I laid perfectly still, I didnt even try to move. Nala, the Alpha is straining himself and stressing himself for you. You must wake. He soothed.

Stressing? Straining? No, no, no. this is all my fault. I felt disgusted by myself.

Nala! You couldnt control any of this. This is my fault. I should have worked harder. Nina sounded scared and out of breath. Completely exhausted. Nina, you tried your hardest. You need rest. I linked back to her. I could feel her head shake. If I rest, Ill never wake. If you rest, youll never wake. We need Theo. she said quietly. Move Nala. Its your body. We can do this.

I knew she was right. I did need Theo. I didnt feel complete without him. He was everything. And I wanted him.

I concentrated on my fingers and tried to move them.

Nothing.

I tried again, but this time thought of Theo. How his hair glowed in the sun. How it felt when he kissed me. How he made me feel when he said I love you. I craved to feel it again.

I opened my eyes slowly and the doctor grinned above me. Welcome Luna. He said, still smiling. I gave him a light smile of my own as my eyes darted. Theo? I asked shyly. He shook his head. No honey, youre not ready. I need you to focus. He said, that ridiculous smile still not faltering.

Nina growled. So I didnt try to stop it.

Now Luna, dont give me a reason to sedate you. He threatened shaking a finger as if in a joking manner.

It had to be a joking manner.

He was still smiling.

That smile is starting to piss me the fuck off. Nina said fighting for control. My wolf says we should have Theo. I whispered. No Luna. Youre staying here. Youre a weak wolf, you need to stay here and grow strong. We dont want you to hurt Theo, now would we? he acknowledged.

NO? WEAK? HURT THEO? Nina yelled. I want control. She said pushing forward. It was weird, but suddenly all I felt was pain.

No Luna, you cannot shift. He said still smiling and yet this smile didnt reach his eyes.

Nina was furious. Dont tell me what to do! I am your Luna! You will respect me. She said. Suddenly I could feel my bones cracking and my teeth extending, fur appearing and growls began ripping from my body.

At first, all I could feel was the unescapable pain that flooded through my body. It wasnt long before the realisation hit me;

Nina was in control.