Chapter 18 | Second Best

Start from the beginning

Their tea arrived then and the two had to detach their hands anyway to retrieve the steaming cups of tea and the tray of little cakes and scones that smelt heavenly to Euphemia.

She couldn't help but note with amusement that Jackson didn't touch his tea so she suspected he didn't even like tea but sipped her own hot drink haughtily, trying not to laugh.

Her eyes scanned the room again then and caught the eye of Charlus who seemed to be looking at her darkly as he sat alone at a table, obviously waiting for Rebecca to return and she did so soon, immediately pressing her lips to his again the moment she returned causing Mia to look away in disgust.

"You're really really pretty, Euphemia," Jackson suddenly blurted out and Mia glanced over at him in slight amusement and embarrassment at the compliment, flushing a little as her eyes kept flicking over to Rebecca and Charlus, though she had no idea why she kept looking over there.

"I'm so lucky to be on a date with you, you're really funny and talented as well," he carried on and Mia shifted a little uncomfortably in her seat as she smiled awkwardly at him, his wide adoring eyes putting her off.

She knew she wasn't good at this whole dating boy thing, she thought it would've been all alright, especially after the prep talk that Eugenia had given her but she was now completely lost at how to respond to all these compliments being thrown at her - it wasn't even in a flirtatious way, it was like he actually meant it and that unnerved her.

Was she meant to respond with a compliment of her own or was she simply meant to smile and nod? How did one date, Euphemia did not know.

"Thanks," she mumbled and took a sip of her tea to avoid speaking anymore, fiddling with a small piece of multimillionaire shortbread, placing it into her mouth to also avoid speaking.

Jackson stared at her unblinkingly like she was some sort of goddess and she smiled at him waveringly, watching as his hand crept across the table slowly again, as if wishing to take her hand for a second time but Euphemia didn't put her hand there this time, she was feeling distinctly awkward and instead bent her head, letting her dark hair cover her face as she wiped crumbs from her face discreetly.

"Euphemia, have I done something wrong? Because I am extremely sorry if I have, I don't want to upset you for you are a wonderful and beautiful human bei-" Jackson was cut off by Mia's hand as she held it up to stop him in his tracks with a gentle smile.

"Please stop complimenting me, it makes me uncomfortable," she told him honestly and felt bad when his face crumpled as he grabbed her hand more forcefully this time, squeezing her fingers tightly.

That was the thing that Mia was really best at - speaking her mind and being honest about her feelings, she always tried not to lie or be fake unless it was a life or death situation.

For example, she always pretended that she actually liked Walburga and her cronies, with fake smiles and polite conversation because otherwise she knew she would get crushed very easily.

It was better to pretend that she approved of them than to openly oppose them and likely get killed in the process.

With Jackson, it was like he was trying to give her reasons to want him, prove to her that he could be a good boyfriend but Euphemia wasn't sure, it didn't feel right though she couldn't place finger on why.

Jackson was a perfectly nice lad and good looking as well, he obviously adored and doted on Mia but that made her awkward and if she were to have a boyfriend then she would want to feel comfortable around him.

Sure, compliments were nice now and then but if you were being showered in them you were bound to feel awkward and that's what Jackson and Euphemia's date was like....extremely awkward.