17. Family Nightmare

Nothing compares to the panic that I feel when I wake up the next morning to an empty bed. Maya didn't seem to be the kind of girl who enjoys getting up early so in my mind there could only be one possible reason as to why she would be gone. She left.

I climb out of bed and pad across the floor to my door, pulling it open and heading downstairs. The first thing I hear when I reach the bottom is her laugh and I let out a sigh of relief. She was still here.

I walk into the kitchen and find her talking to Alison. "Good morning babe" she greets me. Alison quirks am eyebrow at me, clearly surprised by the pet name but I simply smile as I walk over to my girlfriend and grab her face between me hands. I press a soft kiss to her lips and she kisses me back sweetly before we break apart and she runs her finger across her bottom lip.

"Not that I'm complaining but what was that for?" she asks confusedly. I caress her cheek and sigh.

"I thought you left." Her eyes widen.

"Baby of course not" she replies adamantly. "I'm ridiculously nervous about today so I couldn't sleep" she explains simply. "I'm sorry if I scared you."

We stare at each other for a long moment only to be interrupted by Alison clearing her throat. "Well, it was lovely talking with you Maya but I have my own girlfriend to get back to" she says, slipping past us and heading back upstairs.

"And then there were two."

Maya laughs. "So it seems. We should probably start getting ready. The last thing I want is to be late for the reunion. I mean, they already hate me."

I shake my head. "That's impossible" I insist. "But I understand. Do you wanna shower first?"

She nods her head. "Is that okay? I know how odd your shower is" she teases. I nod.

"It's more than okay." Of course I'd love to shower with her but I could tell that she was clearly stressed about today and I doubted that me trying to seduce her would make that better.

"Thank you" she smiles and with that she turns and heads up the stairs.

~

Within an hour I was ready to go, dressed up in a pair of black dress pants and a white button-up and I was just waiting for Maya to walk out of the bathroom.

I sit on the edge of my bed scrolling through my phone when the door opens and I look up. My breath hitches in my throat when I see her. She's wearing a simple red, strapless dress that falls a tasteful length down her thigh and covers her chest appropriately. She looked stunning.

"Woah." She blushes, pulling at the hem of the dress.

"Too much?"

I shake my head, walking towards her   and encircling her in my arms. "It's perfect" I assure her, leaning down to peck her lips. "Shall we?" I ask. She laughs.

"We shall" she agrees. The two of us walk out of the house hand in hand and head down to my car. I help her in before climbing in beside her and putting the key in the ignition. "Promise me something" she says abruptly as I put the car in drive. "Whatever my family says, please try to remain civil."

I furrow my eyebrows at her. "What do you think they're going to say?"

She sighs, bowing her head. "Just, please promise me" she murmurs. I turn in my seat and grab her chin in my hand to make her look at me.

"Maya listen to me. I care about you too much to make that promise. I'll try my best to keep my cool but I'm not going to sit idly while people say untrue and horrible things about you."