39-A Lingering Kiss

Start from the beginning

A little while later River suggests that we play beer pong. My initial response would've been to refuse but thanks to the slight amount of alcohol I've drank calming my mind I agree.

As the game goes on I can feel my sobriety begin to fade but I couldn't find it in me to care. With each drink down my throat, I was having more and more fun, I felt light and carefree.

Whenever I got a ball in I felt giddy with excitement. "Well done baby," River says when I get my third ball in, giving me a lingering kiss on my cheek. I felt the grin on my face as the game continued and River proceeded to give me a light peck every time I got one in. I didn't feel like stopping him so I didn't, I just wanted to have fun.

"Let's dance baby," River whispers into my ear once the game is over.

I send him an excited smile as we make our way to the large crowd of drunk teenagers dancing — actually dry humping seems more accurate.

I start jumping about to the music, River's hands on my waist as he stands behind me, following my lead and doing the same.

The loud atmosphere coupled with limitless alcohol was actually quite enjoyable. I can see why Jess loves coming to these things. Speaking of Jess, I wonder how her and Emma are doing. As far as I'm aware they're still together but Jess never really mentions her so I'm not sure. I remember asking her about Emma yesterday when we were in the car but she kept changing the subject. There's definitely something fishy going on there but I wonder what.

Detective Ari will find out. Oh, imagine how fun It'd be to be a detective with a cool hat and a magnifying glass. Oh my god, what if I became the next Sherlock Holmes. I could get a funny sidekick and-

I let my mind wonder for a bit longer before coming back to reality.

I hadn't realised but with each song our bodies must've been moving closer together because now my back is flush against River's chest. I just shrugged off the slightly uncomfortable feeling I got and continued to dance without a care, my hair probably a mess by now.

His hands ran down the sides of my body for a while before resting on my exposed thighs. Before long they were moving upwards again, but this time under my dress.

My mind was screaming at me to tell him to stop, that I wasn't comfortable with this level of intimacy so soon.

I didn't say anything for a long while, enjoying the music and the atmosphere around me. It wasn't until he reached my underwear that I finally made a move to stop him, only just now processing the situation I was in and what my mind was telling me.

I step away from him, claiming I was tired of dancing and wanting to go outside. I'm hoping some fresh air will help clear my mind. So we walk to the back door, River's hand on the small of my back. I'm still not sure if I like him but I'm feeling slightly more open to his touch at the moment — hopefully it's because I'm developing feelings and not just the alcohol.

There's a few people outside but not too many; it's nowhere near as crowded as it is indoors. As I was breathing in the fresh air a horrible smell hit my nose. I looked to my right to see River smoking — just great (note the sarcasm).

"You want one babe?" River asks, referring to the cigarette in his hands.

I politely shake my head, knowing it's not the best idea.

You should try it. It could be fun. A voice in the back of my minds says but I ignore it.

"Ah come on, I think you'll love it," he tempts.

Even in my state I know it's a bad idea yet the thought is tempting. I'm not sure what it is but I almost want to try it, my insides are giddy with anticipation.

You should try new things, Ari. What's the harm? The voice tries again, making my resolve begin to fade.

What am I thinking? I can't be thinking straight.

"I don't think I should, River," I tell him, trying to sound confident.

Boring. The voice taunts. Where's your sense of fun?

It takes everything I have in my not-so-sober state to ignore the voice. It's just in my head, what does it know?

"Don't be so boring, Aurora. Live a little."

Son of a b-

Okay, maybe the voice does know what it's talking about. "Okay. Fine," I give in and River grins, handing me a cigarette and a lighter.

~*~*~

So that's another chapter done. Any thoughts?

On an unrelated note, I went paint balling for the first time yesterday and it was pretty fun but I don't think it's something I'd do it again — getting hit hurts a lot.

Anyways, that's all for now. Until next time you amazing person, byeeeeee xx