"You guys went backstage too?"

"Yep."

"I'm happy that you had fun Sarah."

"Thanks Hope."

Soon, we reach Jeff's house. I can hear loud music coming from inside the house.

"Talk about a wild party."

"Don't worry Sarah. It won't be that wild of a party."

We walk towards the front door and ring the bell.

"Hey guys! I'm glad that the two of you could come!"

"We couldn't miss your birthday party could we?"

"I'd never miss out on my boyfriend's birthday would I?"

"Of course you wouldn't. Come on in guys. Make yourselves at home. If you need anything to eat or drink, everything's in the kitchen."

__________

I can feel the soft sand under my feet.

"Why did you want to take a walk on the beach?"

"Because I know how much you like beaches Aaron. So, you haven't told her till now?"

"No, Jane, I haven't."

"When are you planning on telling her?"

"I don't know. I'm starting to see that smile back on her face. So, maybe I'll tell her soon."

"You really love her don't you?"

"Yeah, I do. But what makes you say that?"

"The fact that you saw through her amazes me Aaron. It only shows that you care about her so much. I never imagined that you would love someone so much"

"But still, I can't help but think what I'll do if it doesn't work out."

"It will work out Aaron. Don't you worry. Let's get an ice cream."

We walk over to the ice cream vendor and she pays for the ice cream.

We walk over to a quiet part of the beach. I can hear the waves crashing against the rocks. The smell of the sea salt wavers in the air.

"Let's sit down here Jane."

"Sure."

"I still remember the last time we had ice cream, we threw it at each other."

"Ha-ha. I remember that too."

"So, what have you been doing lately?"

"Well, I got selected in my college's swimming team."

"What? Really? Congratulations Jane!"

"Thanks Aaron. There's something going on in your mind isn't it?"

"How could you tell?"

"Because I know you Aaron. Tell me what is it?"

"You're moving to Italy next year aren't you?"

"Yeah, Pininfarina accepted my job application. I'll work in their car designing team."

"That's what saddens me."

"Because you'll be seeing a lot less of me from next year?"

"Yeah."

"Don't worry Aaron, I'm sure that you'll have Sarah by your side."

"I hope so too."

I gaze at the sea. The waves keep rolling in and going away.

"This spot seems familiar."

"Oh yeah. We used to come here on a picnic when we were kids."

"Now I remember. We used to throw sand on each other."

"I remember that one time, you were eating ice cream, I snatched it from you and threw it in the sand. You got so mad at me that you took some wet sand and threw it at me."

"You were wearing your favorite dress that day. And that's why you started crying."

"I don't remember that I cried."

"You did cry."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did. I remember it clearly now."

We finish eating our ice cream. I take some wet sand in my hand.

"You know all that talk about what we used to do here makes me want to do this."

"Do what?"

I throw the wet sand at her.

She starts laughing.

"Hey! I can't believe you did that!"

She takes some sand and throws it at me. I dodge it easily by stepping to my right.

"I guess I've become a little rusty at this after all those years."

"Yeah, but I haven't."

I take sand and throw it at her. I start smiling as I see it hit its mark.

"Ouch! That actually hurt!"

"That was the intention."

"I won't miss this time, I promise."

"Well, you'll have to catch me first."

I start running. I look back and see her running after me.

__________

"Hey Sarah."

I turn around and my smile fades. No. This is all wrong. This shouldn't be happening. Why is he here? Why is John here of all places?

"H... Hey."

He takes me in his arms and pulls me closer. I take out my pepper spray and spray it on his eyes.

"Ouch! It burns!"

I run towards the door and see Hope standing at the door.

"I didn't expect this from you Sarah."

"H... Hope. N... No. It wasn't what it looked like."

"No, It was exactly what it looked like. You were going to kiss him weren't you?"

"N... no. I wasn't."

"That's it Sarah. I never thought that you'd do this. I'm done with you."

Tears start streaming down my face as I see her walking away.

"Hope! No! Please, just listen to me!"

"I'm done listening to you Sarah."

I exit the house and start running. This wasn't supposed to happen. Why is it that every time my life seems to be near perfect everything breaks down again? My pain is like a disease. A disorder. Your sorrow becomes your new smile. Tears replace the sunshine. And life is dark, for what seems to be forever. It feels as if my heart is cracking like glass spreading its pieces throughout my body. My bright world has gone dark again, like if someone has pulled a curtain across the sky. It feels as if I have a hole in my heart and I don't have anything to fill it with. Tears stream down my cheeks and fall to the ground like raindrops. I keep running without looking back.

__________

"Wow, today was absolutely awesome."

"Well, you do have the coolest cousin in the world."

I punch her on her shoulders.

"Well, you aren't wrong."

"Bye Jane."

"Bye Aaron. I hope everything works out for you."

After I drop her off at the porch, I turn around and start walking home. Today was seriously one of the best days of my life. Even though I felt a little nostalgic, thinking about the things we used to do as kids, it felt good.