Prologue

"Hey Sarah! Wait up for me!"

I turn around to see a familiar face.

"I totally forgot about you Jen!"

I can't control my laughter now.

"Hey! Don't laugh at me!"

"It's wasn't my fault that somebody flooded the bathroom!"

She starts laughing when I mention the incident.

"That was an accident!"

"Was it?"

"Okay, okay you win. Let's go home now."

We start walking. There is no traffic on the road we are walking through. The road seems deserted as ever. It always has been at this point of the day. The summer sun beats upon my back-forcing beads of sweat down my forehead. I take out my handkerchief and wipe the sweat from my forehead. I remember when I first walked down this road with Jen after our first day at kindergarten. That was the day when I met her for the first time. We became friends almost instantly.

"So, are you really planning to become a pilot Jen?"

"Yeah, I've always had an interest in aviation."

"What about you? What do you plan to do?"

"I am planning on becoming a software developer. Maybe work at the big companies like Google or Facebook."

"Hmm."

"Did you hear what I just said?"

"Yeah. You want to become a software developer and work at Google or Facebook."

"I thought that you were ignoring me. If you ever try to ignore me in the future, I'll just hack into your airline's server and delay your flight!"

She starts to laugh again.

"Don't worry. I won't ignore you. But wait. Can you really do that?"

"Do that? I have already done it once."

"Really? When?"

"Do you remember when you were going to Santa Monica and your flight got delayed?"

"Yes I do. I was told that there was a problem in the server and that's why all the flights were delayed."

"Well, that was me."

"What? But, why did you do that?

"I was just testing my skills."

"Skills? What else can you do?"

"I can tap someone's phone too."

"What does that mean?"

"It means that I can hack into someone's phone and hear every call they make and receive. I can also read their messages and track their phone."

"I'm presuming that you've done that too."

"Of course. I tapped in to your phone."

"I swear I'll kill you Sarah!"

"Who's Jim? Is he the guy in our class?"

"That was supposed to be private!"

"It isn't private now is it?"

"Well, now that the cat's out of the bag, I guess I'll have to tell you everything."

"I can't believe that you kept secrets from me Jen."

"I was planning on telling you Sarah. I would never keep secrets from you. You know that."

"Go on."

"Well, I have been in love with Jim since high school."

"And you didn't care to tell me that."

"I told you Sarah I was planning on telling you. I'm sorry."

I hug her tightly.

"It's okay Jen. I can never get mad at you even if I want to."

My stomach groans.

"I think I got hungry waiting for you."

"Let's grab some hot dogs then."

We see a hot dog stand nearby and run towards it like the little girls we are. I take out my wallet and pay for the hot dogs.

"Why do you always do that?"

"It's become a habit now."

I don't see how this day could go bad. I've always had fun when I'm with Jen. Things couldn't be better.

"Here are your hot dogs."

"Thank you."

After wolfing down my hot dog I turn towards Jen who is staring at me. I start laughing.

"I really was hungry Jen."

"I'm sure you were."

"So, do you really love Jim?"

"Yes, I love him. I love him more than anything else."

"It's ok to fall in love I guess. I mean I haven't fallen in love with anyone so I don't know how it feels."

"You'll find out soon enough."

"How can you tell?"

"I don't know. I just have this feeling from inside."

Her phone starts ringing. She picks it up. I recognize the voice at the other end of the phone. It's Jen's mom. She hangs up the phone after talking for a while.

"What was it about?"

"I'm sorry Sarah. I have to rush. I completely forgot that I have to pickup dad from the airport."

"That's totally alright."

"See you tomorrow!"

"Bye!"

I see her running offin the distance. After she disappears around the corner, I make my way home.