Chapter 2

I'm sitting on the bench and gazing at the lake.

"So, you're moving to New York."

I turn towards Jen and see that she is trying to hold back her tears.

"Yes."

"When?"

"Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?! That's too soon Sarah!"

"Yeah. It wasn't my decision to make. Mom got transferred to her office in New York."

"So you can't do anything to change it."

"No, I can't do anything to change it even if I wanted to."

"At least you'll get a chance to make new friends."

"I don't want to make new friends Jen. I'm happy with the ones that I have."

"But you do have to move Sarah. You can't change that. That is why you have to start planning ahead."

"I just want to forget about that for now."

I shift my gaze towards some kids playing in the distance. Some of them are playing with their friends and some are playing with their parents. All of them seem so happy. That's because they don't have to deal with emotions or pain or anything. Nothing is a concern to them as of this time. You get to learn about the variety of emotions once you grow up. You also get to learn about the cruelty of this world and that not everything is happy and joyful as you thought it would be. Everything seems to be easy as kids. But, things start getting more and more complicated as we start growing up. I remember when I rode my bicycle for the first time and fell down. Mom immediately rushed to help me get up and I still remember what she said to me that day; "It doesn't matter how many times you fall. What matters the most is whether you choose to get up or not."

"Hey Sarah, do you remember the time when you stuffed my car with teddy bears for my eighteenth birthday?"

"How can I forget that? I have to thank you for telling me about your secret obsession with teddy bears. By the way, what did you do with them?"

"Well, I donated most of them to charity. But, I kept the best ones for myself."

I spot some children riding their bikes.

"Hey Jen, Do you remember when we rode our bikes down the stairs because we thought it was a good idea?"

Her face crinkles in laughter.

"It was a good idea until we fell down and broke our teeth."

I burst out laughing.

"Fortunately, they were our milk teeth."

"Thank god for that."

She stands up and looks at the lake. Her laughter gives way to a serious expression on her face. I go and stand beside her.

"I can't believe that you are really moving."

"Me too Jen. All of this shouldn't be happening so fast."

"You have to accept the truth. At least you leaving tomorrow doesn't prevent me from doing this!!"

Before I could figure out what happened, I end up in the lake. I can hear her laugh faintly in the background.

"Hey!! Why did you do that?!"

"I wanted our last memories to be crazy and happy."

I flash her a genuine I'll-kill-you-for-this smile.

"Well I certainly won't forget this. Now help me get out."

"Sure."

She extends her hand. Instead of taking it and getting up I pull her down. Completely taken by surprise, she lands face first into the lake.