"Yeah, that's true. And I'm glad that no one listens to our conversations. Otherwise we'd end up in a mental hospital."

"What do you mean?"

"For instance, you called me up in the middle of the night and you sounded really sad and got me really worried."

"Oh I remember that one. After that I told you that what I thought was a milk chocolate turned out to be a dark chocolate."

"Like who calls to talk about that in the middle of the night?"

"You're right. We are crazy."

"Let me just call my dad to tell him that I'll be eating outside."

"Yeah sure."

I take out my phone and dial his number.

"Hey Sarah!"

"Hey Dad. I'm going to Burger King with Hope to eat lunch."

"I can't let you do that Sarah."

"Dad please. Hope wants me to go with her."

"Okay, you can go. As long as your mom doesn't find out about this, it's fine."

"Thanks dad!"

I hang up and then put the phone back in my pocket.

"Come on Hope, let's go. I'm really hungry."

__________

Her smile... it was different today. I don't know how, I couldn't help but notice it. It was as if she was hurt badly. And she was hiding it behind her smile because she didn't want people to know that. But she couldn't hide it from me. It's almost like I saw through her smile. She didn't talk to John today, as if she was trying to avoid him. Which could mean only one thing. He was the one who hurt her. But, how could he? How could he even think of doing this to her? How could he even think of hurting her so badly?

"Hey Aaron! Wait up for me!"

I turn around to see John running towards me. Speak of the devil.

"John..."

"Yeah?"

"I need to ask you something."

"Yeah sure."

"Did you shut her out?"

"I'm sorry? Shut who out?"

"Sarah. Did you shut Sarah out?"

I know that I've caught him off guard as he flashes me the I-don't-know-what-you're-talking about smile. I turn around start running. I slam my foot down and run even harder. I need to get as far away from him as possible. How could he do this? How could he shut her out? I now notice the tears which have started rolling down my cheeks. I wipe them off with my hand and keep running.

"Hey! Watch it!" a driver yells as I run in front of his car. I glance over my shoulder and see him looking at me angrily through the open window. I just turn around and ignore him. I would've usually apologized for what I did. But I can't do that right now. I need to get away from John. The thought of him hurting Sarah makes me sick. I never thought he'd do something like this. But, I guess looks can deceive. My cheeks sting from the air. I'm almost out of breath but I keep running. Cars are lined up on the streets. It's just a constant trail of honking and people shouting angrily. That's New York for you. Soon, I reach home. I stop running and try to catch my breath. I look up and see the sky which is as blue as ever with a wisp of clouds on their way to cover the sun. I open the front door and enter the house.

"I'm home mom!"

"Okay sweetie! Wash yourself up and then come to the living room for lunch! I made spaghetti and meatballs today!"