⁰⁶, TEENAGERS WILL BE TEENAGERS

Start from the beginning

  "I do," He deadpanned, tucking a pen behind his ear.

  "Better be cooler than this life," She said, "You know, if you have two lives the second one has got to be more interesting than. . . loner diner owner."

  "I'm not a loner diner owner."

  "Hmm," Charlie nodded, suppressing her amusement as she walked to deliver orders— with Luke on her heels. "Tell me, Lucas, do you have any friends?"

  "What— Of course, I have friends."

  "You don't ever spend time with these fictitious friends," She pointed, making the man open his mouth to retort, "And I don't count. I'm half your age."

  "I'd rather be a loner than call a high-schooler that makes some seriously questionable dietary choices my friend." 

  "Are you calling me fat?"

  Luke shook his head in exasperation at the dramatic girl, turning on his heel and dragging himself upstairs as Charlie continued her overly-offended comments.

  The second he was out of sight, she snickered to herself. And, just when Charlie thought she'd dodged her mother and Luke's berating, Jess popped his head into the back supply closet.

  "Luke told us to get to school."

  "Didn't take you for a guy who listened to anyone," Charlie grumbled, pushing herself up from her makeshift seat.

  "Hey, I didn't say we had to go," Jess dragged out, "Just that he said we should."

  "That is more like it, Mariano," Charlie smiled.

  And, naturally, Lorelai Gilmore's mind went a thousand miles a minute when she spotted Charlie and Jess emerging from a pantry together— none of the thoughts being all too good.

  "Good, he found you," Luke sighed, sliding a bagged donut and a to-go coffee cup across the counter, "Now go to school. Actually go to school."

  "Aye aye, Captain," Charlie mocked, grabbing her breakfast, "Bye, Lucas."

  "Dude," Jess laughed as soon as the two had made it down Luke's front steps, "You have him wrapped around your finger!"

  "Took me ten years, Mariano, it was not easy," The girl lectured, tearing her donut in half and passing it to Jess, "But, stick with me, and I can teach you my ways."

  "Promise?" Jess grinned boyishly.

  "Only if I can log it as charity hours for school," Charlie pointed, making the boy laugh shortly. Though, her amusement dwindled when a cluster of girls pumped up their laughter to attract Jess' attention.

  It worked, in the wrong way, as Jess gave them a questioning look— believing something to seriously be wrong with the teens.

  "Keep it moving and don't make eye contact," Charlie mumbled, grabbing Jess's bicep and tugging him along, "It's gross— Liam mentioned it but I didn't exactly believe it."

  "Believe what?"

  "That from girls 15 to 18, you are Stars Hollow's most eligible bachelor," Charlie sighed, letting her hand fall, "We never get new people, and when we do it's not some hot 17-year-old guy with a shitty attitude."

  "You think I'm hot?"

  "Don't let it go to your head," Charlie blushed, sipping her coffee to hide her rosy cheeks.

  "Too late."

  "Whatever," She mumbled, "I didn't think he was being serious about it, but apparently. . ."