Chapter 17: Tension

Start from the beginning

"What do you suggest?" Rick spat, "The girls grieving."

Daryl shook his head, "Take the shot. Clean, in the brain from here. Hell, I can hit a turkey between the eyes from this distance."

Lori looked at the Dixon in disgust, "No. For God's sakes, let her be."

--------

2 hours later

Indigo leaned against a tree watching the adults move bodies when Daryl passed by her. He looked tired, a mixture of both strength and worry plastered across his face.

"Wake up, Jimbo." He said, "We've got some work to do."

Morales and Daryl drag the body of a dead camper toward the fire. Indigos nose wrinkling in both disgust at the blood but sadness at the person she once knew.

Morales thanked Daryl and Jim when an irritated Glenn approached them.

"What are you guys doing? This is for geeks." He told them then pointing at another pile, "Our people go over there."

Daryl scoffed, "What's the difference? They're all infected."

"Our people go in that row over there." Glenn's voice cracked as he struggled to keep his composure, "We don't burn them! We bury them. Understand? Our people go in that row over there."

Daryl and Morales were silent for a brief moment before dragging the body toward the digging hole.

"You reap what you sow." Daryl mumbled.

"You know what? Shut up, man." Morales snapped.

Daryl let go of of the body in anger, "Y'all left my brother for dead. You had this coming."

Indigo felt a sense of guilt at that comment before her eyes shifted towards Jacqui and Jim piling up bodies. Indigo walked over to them bored when she noticed Jim hunched a little, fresh blood on his shirt. Jacqui noticed this too as she approached him, "Are you bleeding?"

Jim shook his head, "I just got some on me from the bodies."

Jacqui slowly approached him further in caution, "That blood is fresh. Were you bit?"

"No. I got scratched during the attack." Jim replied as Indigo froze in her position. Both girls knowing he was lying.

"You got bit." Jacqui said in fear.

"I'm fine." Jim repeated in annoyance also out of fear of anyone else hearing.

"Then show me." She ordered him as he backed away.

"Don't tell, please." He begged as Jacqui grabbed Indigos hand.

"A walker got him. A walker bit Jim." Jacqui cried out, Indigo looked at him as all the men surround around him, worried.

Jim backed away in fear, "I'm okay. I'm okay."

"Show it to us." Daryl shouted, "Show it to us."

Shane approached the man slowly, "Easy, Jim."

"Grab him." Daryl yelled as Jim grabbed a shovel off the dirt pavement. Indigo flinched as he waved it around trying to keep them all away.

"Jim, put it down. Put it down." Shane ordered but T-Dog came up behind Jim holding him tight.

"I'm okay. I'm okay. I'm okay. I'm okay." Him repeated at a loss of words as Daryl lifts his shirt, revealing a deep wound. Indigo cried out running to Rick who approached the scene. Rick held the girl as Jim cried out the same words.