Elevator

A tiny bit of Jachary in here, but really subtle.

Daniel checked his texts one last time as they walked into the building. "Okay, so our recording studio is on the eighth floor, studio number 2."

"We know, Dani." Zach grinned. "We all read the emails and the texts like a billion times, we know where to go."

They walked through the glass doors of the biggest recording studio in L.A. The receptionist greeted them. "Good morning. May I ask who you are and why you're here today?"

"We're a band called Why Don't We, and we're here to work on our new album." Jonah said. "We're with Atlantic Records, if that's any help."

She laughed. "No, I know who you are. I was just joking. You know where to go?"

"Eighth floor, studio number 2." Daniel affirmed.

"Yep! Elevators are down the lobby to the right. If you want to torture yourselves, stairs are that way and to the left. Have fun!" she said, smiling at them.

They headed over to the elevator and pressed the 'up' button, chatting casually. "Isn't it cool how we've only been a band for, like, one and a half years, and now we're in the biggest recording studio in L.A?" Jack observed.

"Pretty dope." Corbyn grinned as he stepped into the elevator.

Zach took a deep breath and entered the elevator last. He always did this, so he would be the last one on and the first one off. His fear of elevators just kept getting worse as he got bigger, and as they moved on to taller buildings, there were more elevators.

Jonah pressed the button for the eighth floor, and up they went. Zach stared anxiously at the number panel at the top of the elevator, watching the number go up.

1.

2.

3.

Zach tapped his foot anxiously. This elevator wasn't tiny, but five people filled it up pretty well. It was close quarters, enough for Zach to feel a tiny bit claustrophobic.

4.

5.

He wiped his sweaty palms on his jeans, knowing that they were almost there.

6.

7.

The elevator stopped. Zach waited for the doors to open, but nothing happened.

"What's going on?" Corbyn asked. "Why'd we stop?"

Jonah pressed the button for floor number 8 once more, but nothing happened.

Zach felt his heartbeat speed up. "Guys, what's happening?" He hated how high-pitched his voice sounded.

The lights flickered, and he flinched, blinking.

Jack glanced over. "You good, Zach?"

"Um, yeah. Just... elevators." he mumbled. The guys all knew he had a fear of elevators. They were giant cages held by cables that had one entrance and one exit, how on earth could you go inside and feel comfortable?

Jonah nodded. "We'll get out of here soon, don't worry."

Daniel and Corbyn had found the emergency call line for the elevator, and were talking to the building maintenance. Zach tried to listen, but his heart was pounding so hard that all he could hear was his heartbeat. He tried to steady his breathing, leaning against the wall.

This was the worst it had ever been for the youngest member of the band. The guys had never seen him get this anxious. Sure, he'd been scared of elevators his entire life, but he usually didn't get stuck in them.