Chapter 50: Hair Knotted With No Doubts

Start from the beginning

Jing quickly said “No! No! I’m just too happy is all!” The Royal Mother was aloof and didn’t say much but whatever she said was always true, so if she said she broke the voodoo spell then clearly it was now broken.

Xiao Yao’s heart was jumbled – when Xiang Liu tried to assassinate Zhuan Xu and killed Feng Long, she already repaid all her debt to Xiang Liu by giving her blood. She severed all ties with him then, but hearing now that the final last bit of connection between them was broken when she wasn’t even aware of it, she couldn’t figure out what this sense of loss meant. She mocked herself “He always saw you as just a chess piece, what’s there to feel bereft about? Are you sad about his cold heartlessness?”

The Royal Mother wearily closed her eyes and waved her hand so Jing and Xiao Yao took their leave and Sir Bi went out as well.

Inside the peach blossom forest, Sir Bi asked “Things happened so quickly to ask what happened, but who saved you, Jing, and why so long before coming back?”

Jing explained about the mercouple in the East Sea and Sir Bi’s mind roiled after hearing it. The Nine-headed demon is the supreme power in the ocean, totally able to command the merpeople to do his bidding. And finding merpeople who could not communicate in the human language, and who lived in the vast ocean, Xiang Liu was cruel and brilliant in saving Jing without ever leaving a way to be discovered.

Xiao Yao asked “Ah Bi, what’s wrong? Why is your expression so strange?”

Sir Bi quickly covered up “Nothing!”

Two days later, Bai Zhi arrived on Jade Mountain and the succession ceremony went off without a hitch. The proclamation went out to the world that a new Royal Mother had taken over Jade Mountain.

The next morning Xiao Yao went to pay a visit to the Royal Mother but Shui Hong barred her outside.

“Ah Mei has passed.”

It took Xiao Yao a moment to realize that Ah Mei was the Royal Mother’s worldly name.

Shui Hong said “Don’t be sad, she passed peacefully in her sleep with a smile on her face. I think she saw the people she wanted to see in her dream.”

Shui Hong said to Jing “You’ve stayed three days on Jade Mountain, please depart before sundown today.”

Jing pulled a wobbly Xiao Yao away as she wondered if letting go of all worries was what allowed the Royal Mother to pass so quickly.

Without the Royal Mother around, Xiao Yao and Jing had no reason to stay on Jade Mountain so made plans to depart.

Lie Yang and Sir Bi came to send them off and she asked them “What are your plans?”

Lie Yang and Sir Bi glanced at each other before Sir Bi said “We are used to living on Jade Mountain and plan to stay. What about you two?”

Xiao Yao glanced at Jing “We haven’t discussed it but will likely go to Qing Qiu first to handle matters.”

Sir Bi said “Please let me know when a wedding date is set.”

Jing replied “Of course!”

Xiao Yao said “Then…..we’re off now.”

Sir Bi said to Jing “Please take good care of Xiao Yao.”

Jing bowed low as if to an elder “I will take good care of Xiao Yao.”

Lie Yang didn’t give a fig so accepted the bow but Sir Bi dodged it, demon class barriers were strict and the nine-tailed fox was the king of the fox tribe. When Sir Bi was around Jing, he used his strong powers to tamp down the instinctive to be subservient to Jing.