Chapter 17: Swimming Upstream Seeking You, The Road is Long and Hard

Start from the beginning

Ah Nian finally decided to bow her head and ask Xiao Yao for help to stop Zhuan Xu from hanging out with Cui Liang’s group. She was even willing to take Zhuan Xu back to Gao Xing.

Xiao Yao said wearily “It’s not like I’m not trying to stop him. I tried, I argued with him, I even went to Grandfather for help. We’ve had them beat up but the result is what you see.”

Ah Nian cried tearfully and Xiao Yao said “You did what you can do. If you can’t bear to see him like this, then go back to Gao Xing.”

Xiao Yao’s calm was completely opposite of Ah Nian’s heartbreak.

Ah Nian turned her anger on Xiao Yao “You cold-blooded monster! If it wasn’t for you, Gege wouldn’t have come back to Xuan Yuan. All because you wanted to visit that bad mother of yours and wanted Gege to accompany you. If he didn’t come back, none of this would have happened! Since you disappeared once before, why did you come back? You shouldn’t have come back!”

Xiao Yao glared at Ah Nian “Do not insult my mother, or else I’m going to forget we’re sisters.”

Ah Nian refused to back down because she was so hurt “I never once saw you as my sister so we don’t have sisterly feelings! If your mom wasn’t a bad woman, how could she abandon her own husband? She is a bad woman, who knows which man she ran off with…..”

With a resounding slap, Xiao Yao delivered a blow to Ah Nian’s cheeks and she fell on the ground shaking all over.

Xiao Yao said “This is not Gao Xing, it’s Xuan Yuan. The person you are insulting is the Xuan Yuan Princess. She died in battle for the people of Xuan Yuan and the people remain grateful to her. Just the few words you said is enough for Xuan Yuan to use as an excuse to attack Gao Xing. If you want to be an idiot, then scram back to Gao Xing and stop coming here to incite things.”

Xiao Yao told Hai Tang “Take her back, the poison will wear off in half an hour.”

Hai Tang said nothing and quickly picked up Ah Nian and hurried out.

Xiao Yao waited for Zhuan Xu in his room and saw him carried home passed out drink. The maids were used to it already and helped him change to rest.

Xiao Yao waited until they were all gone before sitting down next to his pallet and staring at him. This was a battle, but Zhuan Xu didn’t discuss with her beforehand so she could only play along with him on her own.

Xiao Yao touched his wrist and took his pulse before putting a pill in his mouth.

Zhuan Xu stirred awake and Xiao Yao said “Stop acting in this farce any longer. By the time the show is over, you would have destroyed yourself.”

Zhuan Xu looked at Xiao Yao “What if it’s not acting? What if I really have changed?”

“What are you trying test me for? That if you didn’t tell me beforehand then I would abandon you? Sorry, your test sucks because I know you too well. I know you’re acting the part. How did you come up with such a brainless plan?”

Zhuan Xu sighed “Sometimes people go stupid.” He really did want to know how Xiao Yao would treat him if he were to become a total dissolute. “If I really was this way, would you leave me one day because you couldn’t take it anymore?”

Xiao Yao smiled “Ask yourself whether you would abandon me in the same situation?”

Zhuan Xu immediately said “I won’t! If you became like this, something must have happened and I would protect you. I would make you better, and if you don’t want to get better….then I would stay besides you no matter what.”