Chapter 15: Thinking of the Past is Easily Sorrowful

Start from the beginning

Cang Lin couldn’t imagine Xiao Yao’s personality was so fierce and bitchy and she was fairly shrieking like a fishwife on the street. If she left today then things could get ugly and he could be cursed by millions and his father would be furious. He endured and said “Princess you are mistaken, no one is keeping Princess from getting on.”

All the Xuan Yuan guards moved aside and Xiao Yao saw her goal had been accomplished and calmed down to get into the cloud carriage with Zhuan Xu.

As the cloud carriage traveled up to the Peak, Xiao Yao looked at Zhuan Xu who was tightly gripping her hand, his lips pressed together. It had been over two hundred years when a very young him was forced by his four uncles to leave Xuan Yuan Mountain alone. Back then, he stood at the boat bow and looked back at the disappearing Cao Yun Peak and vowed: I will be back!

The cloud carriage stopped and the maids came to assist the Princess down. Zhuan Xu and Xiao Yao got off the carriage.

Zhuan Xu looked up and saw the plaque hanging over the Palace door, on top was handwritten in their grandmother’s script “Cao Yun Court” in three large characters. He said in his heart: Grandmother, Dad, I’m back! After wandering for two hundred years, I’m finally back! Sorry for making you wait so long!

Xiao Yao looked up at the same plaque, three hundred years ago this Palace used to be filled with the laughter and happiness of her relatives. Today as she came back, it was just her and Zhuan Xu.

Zhuan Xu and Xiao Yao looked at each other and then they both step forward at the same time and crossed the threshold into the Court.

Xiao Yao had no expression on her face and walked slowly while Zhuan Xu walked behind her also very slowly.

Xiao Yao arrived at the front of the Court where a white haired old man with a face full of wrinkles, thin and frail, laid on the pallet with his eyes closed as if tired and was napping. He heard Xiao Yao’s footsteps and opened his eyes and looked at her with a still sharp and incisive gaze.

Xiao Yao and Zhuan Xu both thought of their beloved passed grandmother at that moment and both knelt down simultaneously and said at the same time “Your granddaughter/grandson is back.”

The Yellow Emperor waved his hand “Come here.”

Xiao Yao and Zhuan Xu bowed three times and then stood up and walked over to him. Xiao Yao was so casual she sat right own on the pallet while Zhuan Xu remained standing respectfully.

The Yellow Emperor stared at Xiao Yao “You don’t look like your mom, but your face shape and mouth does look like your grandmother, exactly like when I first met her.”

Xiao Yao’s memory of her grandmother was old and shriveled and a face full of wrinkles so she didn’t know if she looked like her so could only smile.

The Yellow Emperor guessed what she was thinking and said “Your grandmother was once young like you. Her beauty and talent was world renowned throughout the vast wilderness. So many men wanted to marry her. Sadly, she chose the wrong person.”

Xiao Yao was stunned and didn’t know what to say to that. She couldn’t agree that her grandmother married wrong, or say that she didn’t marry wrong. Because she sensed that her grandparents had a falling out towards the later part of her grandmother’s life. In the years before she died, her grandfather never came to see her. Actually, other than the time her grandfather grabbed a sword and tried to kill her mother, she never saw her grandfather in Cao Yun Court until her grandmother died. Her grandfather was injured and then he moved to Cao Yun Court.

Xiao Yas was silent as if processing what he said but the Yellow Emperor didn’t mind and just smiled and stared at her.

The Yellow Emperor looked at Zhuan Xu and his smile disappeared, with none of the joy and warmth of when he looked at Xiao Yao, and was instead filled with judgment and careful deliberation. Zhuan Xu didn’t lower his head and just let the Yellow Emperor measure him up from top to bottom.