6. Proving Herself Worthy

"Goodbye, love," Violet said softly as she hugged Skylar close.

Skylar squeezed her mother tight, tucking her face into her shoulder. She didn't want them to leave. She wanted all of her family together. Unfortunately, they didn't belong here, just like she didn't belong at the castle. Over her mother's shoulder, she saw Hal standing with Leo, Kellan, and Jed, shaking hands amicably. Greta was with Penelope, Victoria, and Nana, smiling and trading what seemed to be recipes and hers. What surprised her most, though, was that Jonathan stood with Olly, Fiona, and Orion, and Orion even cracked the smallest of smiles at something Jonathan said before the two shook hands. At least she could live with the fact that the two parts of her life could coexist, even if she couldn't have them both.

"Goodbye, Mama," she whispered. "I wish you didn't have to go."

"Me either," the queen sighed, kissing her daughter's wild hair. "But the kingdom needs us. We've been gone too long."

"I thought you would leave right after the battle," Skylar admitted, leaning away and meeting her mother's hazel eyes.

"We did too, but then we would never miss your mating ceremony," she grinned. "I'm glad you're happy, Skylar, I really am. Despite my initial fears, Orion is a fine young man. You'll live a wonderful life here."

"You say that like we won't see each other again," Skylar joked, but alarm shot through her. Did Violet think this was goodbye forever?

"I know, I know," Violet chuckled. "I'm just saying that I thought you would always have to hide who you are, but now I see that you just needed to discover who you were meant to be. Besides, you're coming back to the castle so we can throw you a royal wedding, remember?"

"Yes, in a month," Skylar smiled with a nod. "I expect it to be as extravagant as possible."

Violet chuckled and shook her head. She leaned forward to kiss Skylar's cheek. "No you don't."

Skylar giggled, hugging her mother again. "No, I don't. I love you, Mama."

"I love you, too, darling. Now go say goodbye to your father."

Skylar nodded and released her mother, turning back to Hal. The king was already waiting for her with a soft smile and a tender gaze filling his blue eyes. Skylar blinked back her tears as she launched herself at him. She'd always felt safe in Hal's gaze. Even her dragon was content with their father. He might not have always understood her or her dragon, but he had never failed to love her and be there for her. Marching here with an arm in tow to help them fight Draco was example enough of his love.

"Oh, Skylar," Hal said into her hair.

"I'm going to miss you so much," she said into his chest.

"The castle is going to be incredibly quiet without there," he chuckled. "But I'm glad you'll be here, where you're safe and happy."

"Thank you, Father," she whispered. "For everything."

"We're always here for you, love. No matter what. You should know that by now."

"I do," she nodded. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Skylar," she kissed her hair and gave her one more squeeze before letting her go. "We should be going."

"Not before I get my goodbye hug!" Greta cried, gathering Skylar against her small form. Skylar laughed and hugged her nurse back.

"I wish you could stay."

"Me too, my sweet child, but this is your journey now," Greta replied. "We'll just see you now and then, but we don't have starring roles."

"Greta, you can't think you're not important to me."