5. Home, Not a House

They all relocated to the cozier living room. A fire burned gently in the fireplace, providing a low light along with the candles that had been lit at dusk. Nana and Victoria had tried to demand that he go back to bed, that he needed to rest, even though he had been unconscious for seven hours. He still couldn't believe it; it had felt like he was in the Other Side for an hour, max.

He sat on the couch, moving tenderly because he still felt weak and a little nauseous. He had downed the glass of water Victoria insisted he drink, and he had just forced down another sip of some awful tea Nana had concocted. He knew none of it would help as much as the woman who was curled into his side, refusing to lose contact with him for even a second. Even as they sat there, he could feel the bond between his soul and Skylar's strengthening him. He was convinced that her touch could bring him back from the brink of death.

Olly sat on the other side of Skylar, drumming his fingers nervously on his knee, stilling only when Skylar reached back to grab his hand. Orion didn't miss the small smile he sent her or the squeeze he gave her hand, and he was amazed that not a single burst of jealousy shot through him. He knew that his brother and mate were merely friends, brother and sister. He was glad they had each other. Victoria sat beside Leo, clutching his hand as she took deep, calming breaths. Leo cradled baby Benny in his other arm, hushing him softly as the baby began to squawk before falling back into a peaceful slumber. Nana was in the chair, waiting impatiently for an explanation.

"Does anyone care to explain exactly what is going on here?" the old woman snarled, her eyes flashing in irritation. "Orion, you wouldn't wake up for anything. All day. You were fine when you walked into Leo's office, then you had to be carried out. I want to know what happened. Right now." She included Leo and Skylar in her demand because they had also been in the office, but neither of them would know what had happened.

"You were find until Leo mentioned the unrest with the clans," Skylar recalled, her eyebrows pulling together. "You went all tense and it seemed like you had a headache."

Orion remembered his discomfort well. His mouth had gone dry, his stomach rolled, and his head had begun to pound. Likely his body resisting the expulsion of his soul as it was pulled back to the Other Side.

Nana rubbed the bridge of her nose. "I shouldn't have to ask you to explain what's going on with the clans." Olly grunted his agreement with her statement.

Leo answered this time, keeping his gaze close on Orion, as if making sure he wasn't going to trigger something again. "The clans are restless and nervous, and less than happy with us. There has been talk of a female being born into the Nogard line. From Skylar and Orion's pairing."

Nana's eyes widened, and her nostrils flared as she sniffed the air. Orion rolled his eyes and growled low. "She's not pregnant."

"I'm just making sure," his grandmother snapped. "Leo made it sound like this is all happening now."

"No, not now, but sooner rather than later," he replied, his arm tightening around Skylar. The look of shock she gave him was priceless.

"Excuse me?"
"Well, at the rate you two are going-" Olly teased, but quickly shut up at Orion's snarl and punch to the shoulder.

Their father put an end to that quickly. "That's enough. Orion, what do you mean?"

"When Draco killed me," he made sure to make that point clear, "I went to the Other Side. I didn't remember it then, but I remember it now. I saw Mom."

"You saw Mom?" Olly whispered. Orion knew his brother always envied that he didn't have many vivid memories with their mother, and since Leo didn't talk about her much, he would take whatever he could get about her.