Chapter 18

"Let him go!" Asher yelled. 

"Alpha Giovanni, it's nice to see you again," Bret said with sarcasm practically dripping from his voice. 

Asher growled. "I wish I could say the same."

"Let's just cut to the chase. I am taking my fiancée and my baby. Since you gave her to me willingly before I don't see any reason there should be a fight now. Unless she bribed you? Or she opened her legs like the slut she is? If you give her back to me, I'll even let you keep the land you fought me for." 

I looked at Asher.  "Land? I thought you said-"

"Not now." He growled.

"Oh, I see now. She's your baby mama." 

He growled. "She's my mate."

Normally I would have gotten upset at this statement, but now isn't the time. 

"Really? You expect me to believe that?" 

"Why wouldn't you?" 

"You seem to be forgetting but you gave her back to me, in fact, you practically shoved her into my arms. So, I would like you to kindly giver her back again."

"No, she is my mate, and I will never give her back." He changed his stance so he was mostly in front of me. 

Bret peered slightly around him to look at me, or more specifically my neck. "I see no mark, so she is open for claiming. She is mine, and so is this child." 

Asher looked at me over his shoulder and gave me a soft smile. 

An apology smile?

What is he apologizing for? 

The only thing I could come up with is something about Liam. 

"Asher, don't do anything rash."

He gave me another soft smile before looking back at Bret. 

"Look, I have the kid which means I have the upper hand here. Just give me my girl and we will be on our way." 

In a flash, I felt a searing pain in my neck.

And just as fast as it was there, it left. 

I opened my eyes and saw Asher with his canines retracting. I gasped and felt my neck, sure enough, there were two bumps that were slightly raised. 

I looked up at him, my mouth still agape. 

I tried to say something but nothing came out. 

I heard Liam's cries and looked over to see a fuming Bret. 

"Bret, please don't do anything. He wasn't supposed to do that. Please just give me Liam and we can just peacefully go our separate ways. " 

"No. I am either leaving with you, where you are willing and your mate and baby stay breathing. Or, I leave with you, you are unwilling and the baby and Alpha are dead. Your choice." 

I quickly remembered that I could mind link Asher since he marked me.

I have a plan, play along.

"You can't kill me pup." Asher scoffed. "Especially not with that human thing."

"Oh, this?" Bret held the gun up. "Isn't a normal human gun. I have silver bullets laced in wolfsbane. Lethal combination anywhere I shoot you." 

"Bret," I said as I walked closer. "Please put the gun down, I will go with you willingly and we can be the family you want. Just forget him and we will leave."