fourteen

☾

Draco was fine and the scars definitely stayed, but now he had gotten himself into more trouble.

"Good evening, Draco. What brings you here on this fine spring evening?" Dumbledore asked.

"Who else is here?" Draco asked.

"A question I might ask you. Or are you acting alone?"

"No," Draco replied. "I've got back-up. There are Death Eaters here in your school tonight."

"Well, well. Very good indeed. You found a way to let them in, did you?"

"Yeah, right under your nose and you never realized!" Draco panted.

"Ingenious. Yet, forgive me... Where are they now? You seem unsupported," Dumbledore stated.

"They met some of your guards. They're having a fight down below. They won't be alone. I came on ahead. I - I've got a job to do," he replied.

"Well, then, you must get on and do it, my dear boy," Dumbledore egged on.

Draco did nothing. He simply stood there with a trembling hand.

"Draco, you are not a killer."

"How do you know?" he snapped. "You don't know what I'm capable of! You don't know what I've done!"

"Oh, yes, I do. You almost killed Katie Bell and Ronald Weasley. You have been trying, with increasing depression, to kill me all year. Forgive me, Draco, but your feeble attempts... So feeble, to be honest, that I wonder whether your heart has been really in it," Dumbledore solemnly said.

"It has been in it! I've been working on it all year, and tonight - "

A muffled yell could be heard from below the castle.

"Somebody is putting up a good fight," Dumbledore said. "But you were saying... Yes, you have managed to introduce Death Eaters into my school, which, I admit, I thought impossible. How did you do it?"

Draco stayed silent.

"Perhaps you ought to get on with the job alone. What if your backup has been thwarted by my guard? As you have perhaps realized, there are members of the Order of the Phoenix here tonight too. And after all, you don't really need help... I have no wand at the moment. I cannot defend myself."

Draco did nothing.

"I see. You are afraid to act until they join you."

"I'm not afraid! It's you who should be scared!"

And yet, Draco did nothing. He said he didn't need the other Death Eaters, but he did. So Dumbledore stalled and heard about how Draco snuck the Death Eaters into Hogwarts with a Vanishing Cabinet in Borgin and Burkes.

Alas, Draco's support came and they sneered at Dumbledore. They shouted at Draco to do it, but he couldn't.

"I'll do it," Greyback snarled.

"No!" Snape shouted as he drew his wand.

"Severus, please," Dumbledore begged.

"Avada Kedavra!"