Chapter 17

Basil's POV
        Basil and Shadow silently padded into long grass, tasting the air for any prey.
        I hope we don't get banned for this, Basil thought to herself, Shadow would have ruined our lives forever! Basil gave a cold, but nervous glance at Shadow. Then, she realized how much he grew. Shadow used to be much tinier than her, at least one tail-length shorter. Now, he was bigger, with a stern look on his face, and muscles rippling down his pelt. Basil remembered what it was like when they were cublings, with not a care in the world...
        "Hey, Basil. Basil!" Shadow interrupted, "Are you listening?"
       "Huh? Yeah," Basil mumbled.
        "You can go to the left, and I'll go to the right, okay?"
        "Mmkay," Basil then trotted away from her littermate.
        She brushed the tall grass away from her face, and she carefully placed one paw in front of the other. All of a sudden, a prickling sound met Basil's ear. She flipped around and saw a large, sand colored rabbit pouncing about. Basil licked her lips and leaped after the rabbit.
       But Basil was inexperienced with the prey in her new home. Mouse dung! Basil clasped her paws together at where the rabbit was before. She turned her head and flicked her ears and saw small movement in the grass behind her. She snarled and ran after it, jumping over rocks and dodging prickly weeds. Finally, she collided with the rabbit, and she snapped its back before it could escape.
       Basil panted and lifted her head in triumph, before she noticed where she was.
      "Where am I?" Basil chirped out loud.
She stood by a small river, where on the other side, were dark pine trees that seemed to stretch up to the sky.
      "This must be one of forests I saw from the cliff," Basil murmured to herself, as she picked up her fresh-kill from the ground. She was about to pad away, when she heard small pawsteps nearing towards her from behind.
     Basil whipped around and saw three giant black panthers. A slow shiver crawled down her spine.            "Um, I-I'm sorry, I didn't know others were here."
Two panthers snarled, and another creeped from the shadows.
      "Who are you, may I ask?" a soft, clear voice of a she-cat spoke to her. The face of the panther was covered with ferns that it was hard to see who she was.
      "My name is Basil. I am a-a Claw of the Savannah t-tribe," Basil stuttered. She was too stiff to move.
     "A claw?" the panther in the shadows meowed. Slowly, the panther was revealed into the sunset light. She had large grey eyes, distinct white patterned ears and a midnight purple pelt - with muscles rippling through it.
      "Y-yes, a Claw. A cheetah who fights and hunts for their tribe," Basil rose her head high, to show courage.
     "Do you mean, a Sharptooth?"
     Basil cocked her head to the side, "A sharptooth? Is that the equivalent of a Claw?"
    The panther swished her tail, "I suppose."
     Basil smiled. Then she shook her head, why am I smiling? This tribe is a stranger to us. She hardened her demeanor. "Anywho, you are you? You never introduced yourself, or your tribe."
      "My name is Midnight, I am the leader of the Forest tribe. Us panthers rule this part of the woods," Midnight spoke with power.
      "Oh," Basil swallowed, "Then, pardon me. I didn't know your tribe lived here. You see, we just arrived to the fields."
      Midnight's ears perked, "As with us, too. A great disturbance troubled our camp, thus forcing us out to this foreign forest, which we now call home."
      Basil awkwardly nudged her rabbit, which now turned cold, as she was too afraid to continue the conversation.
      "Why don't you bring me to your tribe and introduce me to them?" Midnight meowed, "I would like an encounter so that we don't see each other as enemies in the field. I don't like fights."
       "Well,"Basil nervously flicked her ears, "You see, the Sun tribe, the lions came to visit us as well, and my leader, Amber, was not so fond of that. So I don't think that is the greatest idea of all."
      "Then why not just me and a few of my Sharptooths? And if this Amber says anything about it, I'll say that it was my idea. Which it is." As she spoke, a few of the Claws-I mean Sharptooths, prowled around from the tops of rocks.
      She sure is persistent, Basil rolled her eyes, "Well, I guess I have no choice. Follow me."
       Basil caught a glimpse of an amused expression from Midnight before she turned around.
      "Luna, Raven, come with me. Twilight, lead the others back to the camp," Midnight meowed. Soon, two panthers also emerged from the shadows. One with blue eyes, one with black.
Basil turned around and greeted them with a head dip. They did the same.
       Midnight pointed with her tail, to the female, who had blue eyes. "This is Luna," and she flicked her ears to the other, "That's Raven."
      "Hello," Basil dipped her head once more.
      "Greetings," Luna sofly mewed in a friendly manner. Raven, on the other hand, looked away.
      "Not the talkative type, I guess," Basil muttered under her breath as she picked up the rabbit and led them to camp.
       The rabbit seemed to grow heavier as Basil approached our camp. What was I thinking? Mouse dung! Who in the right mind would think this is a good idea?
       Gotta stand tall, she shrugged off the guilt, Amber is here anyways. What can I do?
        "Amber pawed her snout in disbelief. "What is this, Basil! Did you not hear me the first time? Bringing more unknown cats that may be predators for all I know!"
        "Are you the Amber, Basil speaks of?"
        Midnight shouldered her way past Luna and Raven. She swished her tail in a calm manner, trying to show she wasn't here to fight.
        Amber, not convinced, extended her claws, but didn't make a move. Instead, a low growl rumbled in her throat.
       "Listen, Amber. I suppose you are the leader of your Savannah tribe? I am from the Forest tribe, leader among the panthers. We are new here, as well as you, and I would like to make your acquaintance, so we do not see each others as enemies in the future."
       Taken aback by the polite manner, Amber flicked her ears and retracted her claws. She stood up and nodded. "If an acquaintance is what you wish, so be it."
       Amber flicked her tail, signaling to Midnight to follow. "Come. We will talk by that overhang. And Whisker come with me as well."
       Whisker nodded and followed behind Amber.
      "Smokey, see to the other panthers at home. We do not want to be seen without manners."
Smokey dipped his head, and waved his tail towards Luna and Raven. They followed him to a shady tree.
Basil let loose, relieved that it went well.
      "What now, Basil. Really? Another tribe?" Shadow flicked his ears, clearly annoyed.
       Basil hissed softly "Well, I didn't have much of a choice. They weren't the negotiable type."
       Tiger padded besides Shadow, a friendlier demeanor was written on his face, but still worried. "Just next time, try to find another way out. Our leader has been through a lot already. 'Kay?"
      "Yea.." Basil muttered.
      "Shadow is just worried that we couldn't find you when we were hunting. And when we came to camp before you did, we were going to search for you. But then you showed up with the....um..Forest tribe."
     "Mhm." Basil nodded glumly. She then harshly grabbed her limp rabbit by the scruff and dropped it on top of the fresh kill pile. "I'm going to rest now."

A/N hello! I don't know if y'all are still reading this, but I kinda forgot......... 😓 But please read, enjoy, and forgive me!