Chapter 15

A/N I won't be listing the tribes of the different animal —feline— groups until the very end of the book. At the end, I will show you guys the list of all the tribe members.
*
Enjoy this chapter!
*

Shadow's POV
    "Rise and shine."
    Shadow forced his eyelids to open against the rays of sunlight. The moon was still somewhat shining against the sun. A few quails flew low near the ground. Shadow licked his lips hungrily.
    "Why so early?" Shadow grouchily arose by the sound of his sister's voice. He still had his eyes on the quails.
    Basil lended a paw for him, but Shadow got up on his own. "Amber thought it would be best to start early in the morning. I agreed."
    "Seriously? Okay," Shadow mumbled, as he padded beside Basil to the rest of their tribemates, "Where's Tiger?"
    "Hunting. We need our strength and stamina first."
    "Oh, right," Shadow chirped. Then his stomach growled to remind him of food. He laughed in embarrassment.
    Basil laughed, "C'mon. Tiger will bring us some food."
    When the two of them padded up next to their parents, Tiger came back with his patrol. He flicked his tail to signal to the other cheetahs, and he trotted up to them alone, dragging a fat pig towards them.
    "Hey," Shadow and Basil chirped in unison.
    "Hi guys," Tiger meowed, "I brought a warthog for us to eat. Mom, dad, you can have some too."
    "Thank you," Speckle meowed. "I'm so proud of the cheetahs you three have become."
    "Mom, stop being so weird," Shadow flushed.
    "She's just happy for you three, Shadow," Smokey meowed.
    Shadow nodded.
    "Come on, let's eat and go!" Tiger jumped up and started digging in.
    "Okay," Shadow grinned. Soon, the whole family was eating the meal that Tiger had caught.

~*********~

    They have been traveling for so long in barren land, Shadow thought the sun got tired. He looked up at the sky and saw the flaming orb slowly sink into the earth. Shadow sighed, and padded next to Bramble.
     "Do you think this mission is a fail?" Shadow asked.
Bramble looked aghast, "No! You're my best friend. I believe you."
     "Thanks," Shadow chirped.
     "Sure!" Bramble squeaked, "And I'm sure that whatever happens, it won't be your fault."
"Okay," Shadow blinked, "But we've been walking for hours, and we still haven't found-"
"WE'RE HERE!"
Shadow whipped his head up to see Tiger prancing up and down like a startled mousebird.
"I told you you were right," Bramble smiled.
Shadow was out of words. They were finally here!
Shadow made his way up to his littermates. He broke through all his tribemates to see in the distance, green grass, luscious green grass and tons of trees! Lots of wavy hills made up on way, and a river made the other. On another side was a forest of oaks, and across from it was a forest of pine trees. They actually made it!
The whole tribe hurriedly ran to the haven in excitement.
"We did it, Shadow!" Tiger exclaimed.
"Yeah," Shadow stood in awe, "We did."
He followed his tribemates to the long, rolling hills and stretches of prairie grass that made them feel at home.
     When they finally got in a giant group, their leader spoke.
     "Today, three apprentices have found our new home where we will prosper," Amber exclaimed, "Every cheetah, thank Tiger, Basil, and Shadow for everything they have done."
Multiple cheetahs overwhelmed Shadow and his littermates and complimented them. But all that Shadow thought of, was how much they have accomplished.
     "I would like Shadow, Tiger, and Basil to meet me by the edge of the oak forest please," Amber ordered.
"Come on," Shadow waved his tail towards his brother and sister to follow him.

"I am very glad that we have such cheetahs in our tribe," Amber meowed.
Shadow and his littermates sat underneath an oak tree with their leader. A soft breeze swept the plains and rustled the trees.
"Thank you," Shadow dipped his head.
Amber then widened her eyes in excitement, "Also, since you three have never gotten the opportunity to finish your assessments, I will make you Claws today."
"What?" Shadow opened his mouth in surprise.
"So we can finish our assessment now?" Basil asked, "Not to complain, but we don't know this territory very well."
"No, you don't," Amber smiled, "But you three have shown great courage throughout this whole journey, that it is enough to make up your Claw assessment."
Shadow's eyes widened, "Really?"
Amber faced Shadow, "Yes. In fact, I have told the whole tribe to meet by one of the hills for you three."
"Then what are we waiting for? Let's go!" Tiger sprang up and started sprinting to the gathered cheetahs. Shadow, Basil, and Amber were right behind him.

"Cheetahs of the Savannah tribe," Amber yowled on top of a brown boulder in a clear, loud voice, "These three apprentices have shown tremendous courage, great strength and leadership during our journey to bring us here." Amber gave a warm smile to Shadow, Basil, and Tiger.
"Before our journey, Basil, Shadow, and Tiger were going to have their assessment to become a Claw. Unfortunately, it cut short because of the sudden incidents of disasters that distracted them from continuing their training with their mentors. However, they used all the skills during our journey that was meant for the assessment. This means," Amber took a deep breath, the wind was blowing hard now, "This means that we will have the Claw ceremony today, celebrating our apprentices!"
The wind made it hard to see, but Shadow looked over his whole tribe, as he saw them cheering him and his siblings along.
Then Amber waved her tail for silence, "Now it shall begin. Basil, Shadow, Tiger." All three of them looked up to their leader's eyes, "Do you promise to protect the tribe through any situation, even at the cost of your life?"
"I do," Basil and Tiger said in unison. Shadow drew in a deep breath and replied as well, "I do."
"Then," Amber chirped, "as I speak in approval of this tribe, I present you our newest Claws to the tribe!"
"Shadow, Tiger, Basil!" Every cheetah cheered their names as loud as they could. Shadow lifted his head high, taking in as much as he could. He has been waiting for this moment.
"Now," Amber meowed, "you three will sit vigil to protect the tribe as we sleep."
Shadow nodded in excitement. I don't like sitting out in the cold, Shadow thought, but I want to be a true Claw member!
"Come on, guys," Shadow flicked his whiskers signaling for his littermates to follow.
"Remember, Shadow," Amber mewed, "It will be silent during your vigil."
"Sorry!" Shadow meekly dipped his head. Then he realized he spoke again. "Sorry!" Shadow mouthed.  He then slowly led his littermates to an isolated place where they sat in silence throughout the whole night.