A Dance on The Run

Mumbai.
Coffee date. 4 p.m. How could she forget something her favourite person asked her to do. Soon she reached there on time and found the person she expected sitting on the same spot she always chose whenever she used to be there with her friends.

She walked towards the table where he sat facing the other side, his back only visible to her. There was a light music being played through the speakers. As she moved into the chair, he stood up and took her hand to support her from falling. As she adjusted herself in the seat he ran his eyes through her body and landed in her eyes.

"Bohot khubsurat lag rahi ho Sharon!" He said.

"Thanks!" She replied.

They sat there in silence looking at each other. Finally Swayam's smile broadened and asked her, "Cold coffee?"

"Uh yeah!" She replied. He waved at the waiter and he nodded back.

The silence remained for another minute under which the waiter brought in what seemed to be a priorly placed order. A cold coffee for the beautiful lady and a hot chocolate for the gentleman. They took a sip each from their respective drinks.

"So..." Swayam started and paused.

"So?" Sharon prompted him back.

"Hmmm you ugh... You knew...?" He asked.

"What?" She asked as if she didn't know what he was talking while to the contrary her heart knew exactly what he meant. It was just that she wanted to play coy about it.

"Ugh... Umm... S...W..." He said reluctantly.

"Haan... Mujhe pata tha!" She said. He looked up at her. But he didn't say anything.

"Ki tum.." she didn't complete her sentence. But he understood. She already knew he was SW all along. Even before that kiss.

"And..." He prompted.

"Okay..." She said. His brows fringed together. What did she mean now by 'okay'?

They stayed silent for a little more while not knowing what more to discuss. Well he was all prepared for the date but now it was as if everything was going down the drain and an impromptu was kicking him in the balls. And then there was that dream of how he would propose her today but that was all-in-all just a dream! Who'd propose on the first date?

"Toh kal CM se milne ka appointment hein! And afterwards the ministry of information and broadcasting se parso!"

"Ugh.."

"Disney se baat huyi hein.. and they have agreed to..."

"Tum yahaan professionally bulaye ho mujhe?" Sharon asked. There was a tinge of disappointment in her voice.

"Ugh n-nahi! Aisa nahi hein! I was just telling you our coming schedule..." he started to blabber.

"Swayam... D-dont you think hum.. I mean... Uss raat.. mein..." She wanted to say so much but the nerves held her back from forming a meaningful dialogue. Even as she tried to say she was unable to maintain an eye contact with him. "I mean tum... I know... Aur..."

"You look so cute!" He said smiling at her and she stopped rambling on. Her eyes met his again and a charge flowed through her lips spreading to the rest of her face.

"Sharon!" He called out her name softly. She hummed in response. Her croon melting his innards. Suddenly his mind flashed those slow dance routines he composed for Sharon and himself.

"Dance with me!" He said. He couldn't resist. He held out his right hand towards her. She tilted her head slightly to show her confusion.

"Yahaan?" She asked.

"Haan..." He said angelically as he stood up seeing her hand raising automatically to join in his. Her body didn't show any reluctance.

"Abhi?" She asked yet again reconfirming what he wanted to do then. A dance in the cafe with maybe two more couples and a few bunch of waiters watching.

He nodded and then felt he cold hand of his partner in his warm hand. He kept her left hand over his right shoulder and held her right hand in his left one and then his other hand went on to place on her waist.

Her eyes connected with his and his body led her moves. Their flow throught the limited space was to the tune of Mohit Chauhan's melody. Their waiter smiled at the couple and went on to hike up the volume a little more. The remaining few customers who once identified them as celebrities started recording videos and snapping pictures and selfie, unknown to the now Sharon and Swayam. They could only focus on each other, the rest of the world beyond a blur.

Naa Hein Yeh Pana...
Naa Khona Hi Hein...

Tera Na Hona, Jaane...
Kyun Hona He Hein...

Tum Se Hi Din Hota Hein
Surmayi Shaam Aati Hein
Tum Se Hi Tum Se Hi
Har Ghadi Saans Aati Hein
Zindagi Kehlati Hein
Tum Se Hi Tum Se Hi...
...

Slowly Sharon closed the distance between them and put her head of his chest. Both her arms wrapped on his shoulder behind his neck while he supported her enveloping her in his arms. They slowly swayed to the rhythm moving left and right. This sort of encouraged the remaining two couples and they too stood up to join the slow dance.

Swayam planted a small kiss on her forehead and when she looked up he pecked on her cheek. She kept her face back on his chest sideways feeling shy of the first sweet kiss she recieved on her cheek. She felt her nerve ending present under his touch was galvanizing to reach her highpoint of elation. And all just by this slowest dance was she feeling so better in her life that she could live peacefully ever after.

His heartbeats could pick up the notes from her chest. Both so incredibly close to each other even in this public place, their dance simply brought in more happiness in the remaining. That was when Swayam's eyes partially opened and found the amount of crowd forming outside the cafe. The surrounding walls simply made of a thick glass, the transparency could give out their activity even to the partially handicapped.

"Sharon! I think we should go!" He whispered in her ear and she nodded. He held her hand while paying the bill and then walked out towards his car. Seeing her inside, he moved to the driver's seat and without wasting time rode away from the scene.