Original Edition: CHAPTER 5 - MYS

Start from the beginning

"Hmph...I heard the victim ask if you were expecting company."

I gaped at Aurie. "You seem to attract a lot of this," I complained.

"A lot of what? What are you talking about?"

Ignoring her, I opened the door. "Show me your badge."

Detective Ravani wordlessly took out his identification. I sensed my weapon was useless against him. Good thing he wasn't trouble. He was average height, built like his workout was hard labor, and he filled my apartment with ego and wildness when he came in. Against the backdrop of Aurie's cool restraint, his presence blazed.

"He's investigating my case? Ask him about my sister," Aurie insisted.

I stepped aside. "Ask him, yourself."

Detective Zyr gave her a slow appraisal that left no question of her visibility. Floored, the ghost retreated a step. I knew she felt it, too. He wasn't human. After a moment's hesitation, she tried to shake the hand he offered. When her fingers slipped through him, the chemistry was indisputable.

"You can see me?" she asked, pulling her hand back.

"Yes, I can," Detective Zyr breathed in awe, "and I'm staring. My apologies. It's just that you look so...alive."

Was he flirting with her? I thumped a mug on the countertop with more force than intended. "Coffee, anyone?" I asked, faking a smile.

"Yes, thank you, ma'am," said the detective. I didn't bother correcting him. I made the coffee and left them talking about Aurie's murder while I showered.

Afterward, I studied the naked boy-girl in the mirror and considered my dilemma. I couldn't do cam-work with a law enforcement officer in my apartment. Could I kick him out? Kick them out? Would that hurt the investigation? I didn't want to jeopardize Aurie's chances of getting justice.

Brooding, I turned from my reflection. I had to be at Beaucoup de Chair in a few hours. I didn't want to leave her alone with Detective Zyr, although I wasn't sure if I felt protective or possessive of the ghost. Regardless, I already had her word she would be gone by the time I returned from my shift.

I vacated the bathroom, deciding to leave for work early while the two of them wrapped up the intrusive interview in my living room. The detective stopped me on my way out the apartment door. "Did you see anything?" he asked.

"Vampires going in and out. Big party. I was there to meet a client, but I guess you could say things got kind of dead after—" I whistled and cut a hand across my throat.

"I meant, did you see the person who did this?"

"Oh. Nope." I pivoted to leave...

...And saw Aurie had been crying. Damn it. I felt like such a jerk for the hand-gesture. I grabbed my laptop and hustled out the door.

~*~

Blending with pedestrians, I strolled past a few faeries, some shifters, a couple of chimeras. Mostly humans. Everybody looked human to the ordinary eye. Except, Supers recognized Supers, even if they hid their type.

Empathy gave me an advantage. I could sense the type of every creature Overlay City's ley lines attracted. Or any other place where symbiotic paranormal worlds overlapped. There were plenty of Ley-Overs. There weren't many beings like me out there, though.

I avoided my usual Supernatural hang-outs and slipped into a normal human café to finally get some coffee. The venue was empty except for a long-haired barista pretentiously reading Faulkner behind the register. I was grateful for the solitude, fewer emotions pestering me.