The News And The Action

Mike's P.O.V*

"Holy shit! I don't believe my eyes," Brad exclaimed as I crossed the threshold into our practice space.  It was Wednesday night following the weekend which meant that, in our band, it was practice day.  I fully admit that since Friday I had spent most of my time or at least a couple of hours with Harlow between then and Sunday.  During the week she had mentioned it was harder given her work schedules, classes and studying.  Even though I hadn't seen her since Sunday night, which was when we ended up meeting up after spending time with our families and getting ice cream, I had talked to her on the phone daily.  That was also what I was doing prior to coming to practice tonight, talking to her on the phone.  Being that she worked at the club at night, I would most likely be asleep or she would be too tired to talk once she got home.  So instead, we squeezed in our time in between both of our schedules.  It wasn't easy, but we were making it happen.  I looked forward to talking to her on the phone even though ideally I would have liked to actually see her, I understood her priorities and appreciated what I could have.  "Where the fuck have you been?"

"With Harlow," Joe smirked batting his eyes.  "Or talking to her on the phone."

All of them looked at me silently asking me if this was true and I swear I have never noticed how many of them are secretly gossipers.  "I have been with Harlow or talking to her on the phone," I nodded confirming what Joe had said.  Choruses of 'yes' and 'that's awesome' filled the space around us.  I smiled thanking them as I got my shit together for the practice that was due to take place.  It wasn't until I looked up again that I realized they were all still looking at me.  It freaked me out anytime they did that.  "What?"

"Are you going to tell us anything else?" Chester asked taking a seat on the couch in the room.  "You guys must have talked about whether or not you're interested in one another by now.  Have you asked her out on a date yet?"

"I think it's obvious we're interested in one another," I chuckled plugging my guitar into the amp. "And we do have a date planned.  For Saturday night."  I noticed the expressions that were tossed between them after I said this.  Obviously I wasn't included in something regarding the band.  "What?"

Brad cleared his throat while sending me an apologetic look.  "I, um, I sort of booked us a show for Saturday night."

I stood there blinking silently while I processed this information.  We had a routine for booking shows and I have heard nothing about this. "You're fucking with me.  You must be."  He shook his head from side to side.  "Goddammit, Brad!  What happened to confirming with all of us first before agreeing to a show?"

"I tried to confirm it with you, but your phone was always busy," He retaliated holding his hand out in emphasis.  "I'm sorry that you had made plans already that I didn't know about.  I'm sure if you tell Harlow she will understand."

"I'm sure she'll come with you to the show if you ask," Dave mentioned holding his hands up in front of him when I sent a glare his way.  "It was just an idea."

"This is shit.  How am I suppose to tell her that I can't go on a date with her anymore because of a show?  That's not starting off on a good foot," I groaned rubbing my face.  It was obvious to all of them that I wasn't happy about this news and the expressions on their faces showed that they were empathetic to the point I had made.

"Why can't you have the date on Friday night?" Rob asked from behind his drum set.

"Harlow works most nights at the club," I sighed taking a seat on the arm of the couch.  "She's putting herself through school so she relies on the tips from Friday nights.  I'll just have to figure something out.  Regardless though, I'll have to leave early tonight to go see and tell her this in person. I'm not going to be a dick and have this be something I say over the phone."