Chapter 7

I heard a humongous SNAP sound. I turned around to see the Titanic, the Unsinkable Ship, snapped in two. Many screams from all directions could be heard, but I was only worried about one person. 

“Grant!” I screamed without thinking. There was no way that he could have made it off the ship in time. Almost all the lifeboats had been filled and released, and when we had left, the only men they were taking on the lifeboats were the rich first class men. We were second class, and it was definite that we were NOT rich.

“What’s wrong with Grant?” Grady asked, tugging at my sleeve. He was shivering, and his face looked slightly worried. Quinn’s expression mirrored his.

“N-Nothing.” I choked past the lump in my throat. I still couldn’t let on to any panic or let the two boys see me cry. They would be frantic, and I would lose another family member. I did NOT need that. I would just have to stay strong to the end. 

I pulled Grady and Quinn closer to me, holding them tightly.

I could tell that Grant was dead. The water was freezing, and the ship was sinking fast. Even if he had jumped off, the shock of the cold water probably would’ve killed him anyway. I was pretty sure that I wouldn’t be meeting up with him in New York City, no matter what he had said  or promised previously. 

Tears stung in my eyes at the realization of this all.

The bodies of people who had lost their lives to the freezing cold water floated around us. We had to stay close to the ship, though, so when the rescue ship showed up we could be rescued. That meant we had to stay near the floating bodies.

I had to make Grady and Quinn cover their eyes. I didn’t want them to see all the dead people in the water. Some of the people’s faces were etched in a scream forever. Other’s faces were down in the freezing water. Even worse, some of the dead bodies were of children, who were forever crying. 

I wanted to puke at the sight. It was repulsive, and a sight I had never wanted to see. So many people dead. Not enough precautions taken to ensure that there would be enough lifeboats for every person on the boat. It was sad, all the loss of life. But as of then, I just had to hope the rescue ship would come soon. Everyone on the lifeboat was shivering and I didn’t know how long we’d all last.