Introduction

• Dedicated to Doug Maxwell

I held tight to my little brother's hand on the dock looking up at the magnificent ship before me. This was it. My four siblings and I would be going to New York City, riding upon the Titanic, the Unsinkable Ship as some people call it.

"Is mommy going to be there? Will there be a room? Will there be monkeys? Do I get yummy food?" One of the youngest, Grady, had fired off questions one after another as soon as he saw the great ship, in stark contrast to his quiet twin brother Quinn, who was just staring at it. They were the two youngest. They were also identical and very hard to tell apart, almost impossible to tell apart if you hadn't known them all their lives. Quinn was quiet and liked the color green. Grady was energetic and loved the color yellow. 

Also, Quinn had a small tendency to brush his sandy colored hair out of his eyes every time it fell in to them, which seemed to happen a lot. Grady just let the hair hang wildly in his face. 

I heard a long whistle. I turned to see Grant standing behind me, holding Quinn's hand.

Grant was the oldest, and the one in charge since last year, when my parents went ahead to New York to find jobs to be able to support us all. It was hard taking care of five kids in the house that we lived in, and they thought we'd have a better chance in New York City. They also thought that there would be better opportunities to get a job.

"Where is Kelsey?" I asked him, frowning as I looked around. My little sister was nowhere in sight.

"She was right behind me..." Grant said, turning around. "I swear she was right here just a minute ago."

"You let her go? Alone? I thought we talked about this, you know how she likes to wander off!" I fumed. Even if he was older, Grant sure wasn't the more responsible of us two. He was always losing things, but this was by far the biggest thing that he had lost.

"I didn't just let her go, Raini." He muttered, still looking around him.

"Oh? Then where is she? Did she turn invisible or something?"

"How would I know? And don't be ridiculous, she didn't turn invisible. She's probably around here somewhere..."

"I'm right here!" Kelsey shouted, jumping out from behind a nearby barrel. I jumped. She giggled, her copper hair swinging in a ponytail behind her. 

We had adopted Kelsey when she was three. She was an orphaned girl since she was only a few months old. My parents didn't know if they wanted to adopt her, but I had begged and pleaded for a little sister, so finally they gave in. Then later they had Grady and Quinn, and I was the second-in-charge. Not that I hadn't been before, but this time I actually had more than one sibling to take care of. When Grant was gone, of course. 

"Found her!" Grady said through fits of giggling, pointing to Kelsey.

I sighed. "Kelsey, please make an effort not to wander off on the ship unless we tell you it's alright to, okay? It's a big ship, and we don't want you to get lost. That might be bad."

"Alright... Well, let's get on that ship! I want to see what a big huge ship looks like!" And with that, Kelsey ran up the stairs on the side of the boat to the deck. Grant tried to follow her, pulling me along. I held his hand tight out of fear that he might jump in the water below if I were to let go or let him have the room to wriggle his hand out of mine, yet I still let him pull me after Kelsey. Grant and Quinn trailed not far behind.

Kelsey ran up and down the deck, looking all around, a look of awe on her face. "This is so amazing!" She exclaimed.

"Let's go to our room, then maybe we'll go exploring." I coaxed, knowing the idea of exploring would excite her. She had been looking for an adventure for a while, ever since she started reading books more often.

Her face lit up. "Okay!" She squeaked out as Grant led the way to the room.

As I unlocked the door with the key that a man in a formal outfit had given me, I marveled at the hallway lighting. A beautiful chandelier hung from to ceiling and threw crystallized light on everything. I stepped in to the room. 

The room was breathtaking. Everything from the silken sheets on the bed to the soft green walls made me feel like I had walked in to the home of someone rich. Mother and father must have paid a small fortune on this trip!

Grady slipped his hand out of mine and took off his shoes. He then ran up to the bed and jumped on it. Quinn soon joined him.

"Can I go exploring now?" Kelsey asked Grant. 

"As long as you remember the room number... And don't go too far, or in any rooms that aren't yours or might be dangerous." Grant said, nodding. Almost before he could finish his sentence, Kelsey was out the door.