Chapter 5

I had to blow my dark brown hair out of my eyes a few times as we ran, but I never let go of Penny or Grady’s hand. I was afraid that one of us might get separated from the others if we broke out of our hand chain. And I didn’t want to risk losing one of the boys just because my hair was blowing around wildly in the breeze, which had turned to a slight wind.

Penny looked nervous and was pale, paler then when I first saw her. Her copper-colored hair looked a bit brighter than before, plastered against her skin from all the sweat collecting on her forehead. Her hand was sweaty and slippery. I could tell that she had never been in a situation like this before and was very worried. But then again, I hadn’t been in a situation like this before either.

As we filed up the stairs, shouts came from all around.

“I’m not going without my dog!” A woman shouted at a man who was trying to persuade her to go upstairs.

“But the bottom floors are already flooded, ma’am, and if you don’t leave now, you could die!”

“Not without my dog!”

As I half listened to this argument, I knew I had made the right choice by leaving a bit early. I went up the stairs a little faster, not even stopping to marvel at the beautiful chandelier above my head. I could hear panting from someone beside me. I looked down to see that Quinn was panting hard, sweat dotting his forehead. I had forgotten his asthma, something that I should have known. The poor boy had been running for a while now, and of course he would be tired, asthma or not.

I stopped. “Here, climb upon my back, Quinn!” I said, bending down. He did as I said, letting go of Grady’s hand. When he was secure on my back, I grabbed the small hand that he had let go of. Grady looked up at me, looking scared.

“It’s okay. We’re all going to be okay.” I coaxed, squeezing his sweaty hand in an effort to comfort him and calm his nerves. Then we all started off again, with Candi on Penny’s back, Quinn on my back, and Grant helping Grady along.

The shouting all around was almost unbearable. So many people were refusing to leave their cabins. Of course they wouldn’t leave. Adults were so ignorant. If they heard that a ship was unsinkable, they would believe it to the end. Even if it meant their death. That’s just the way that adults thought.

We finally burst out above deck. Many people were rushing around in panic. Others were refusing to move. Some were trying to coax loved ones to get on the lifeboats. I looked around. Oh no… I don’t see all that many life boats, I thought worriedly, and they’re only allowing women and children on the remaining ones.

I told Grant my thoughts, and he just nodded, as if he had realized this already. “It’s going to be okay. Like you said, we’re all going to be okay.”

Penny looked at me, her face pale. “But what if we don’t all make it out? What if-“

“Stop it. Just stop. We can’t afford to have that kind of thinking. That’s what gets us worried and makes us give up on survival. We need to stay motivated. We are all going to live through this.” My words must have seemed inspirational, because some color came back to her face.

“Okay. We’re going to live. Now let’s get going.”