Chapter 4

I walked back to the room. I woke up Grady and Quinn. Grant was already awake, and he looked worried.

“Where were you?” He asked me.

“Looking for Kelsey.” I answered bitterly.

“Where is she then?”

“On an iceberg, floating away.”

“Why would she be there?”

“She’s dead, Grant. She fell overboard when the iceberg hit the ship.”

Grant looked at me, wide eyed and speechless. His green eyes looked sad, and I could tell that he was thinking of never seeing Kelsey’s pretty smile or her blue eyes again. My brown eyes must have looked the same way, because though I didn’t show it, I was breaking down inside. My only little sister was dead. The little sister I had wanted so long, the one I had begged my parents to adopt, was lying dead on an iceberg, floating away.

But I still had to get Quinn and Grady to safety. Even though I couldn’t save Kelsey, I have to try to save the others. I couldn’t let another person die. And I wasn’t taking any chances.

“They’re calling for children and women above deck.” I shook Quinn awake as I said this. Quinn’s eyes opened sleepily.

“Why?” Grant asked me, shaking Grady awake.

“They say that the Titanic is sinking. I don’t believe them, but just in case they are right, I’d like to have these two above deck. You’re coming too. I’m not letting another person go like Kelsey did.”

Grant nodded silently as he grabbed the lifejackets we had stored in the closet. He slipped one over Grady’s head, then on put one on himself. He tossed the other two to me and thrust the last one back in to the closet.

I pulled the lifejacket over Quinn’s head. “Where are we going?” He asked sleepily through a yawn. He rubbed at his eyes.

“Just a little walk. Everything’s alright, just a little fresh air.” I took his hand after I had put on my own lifejacket. Grady slipped his hand in to Grant’s. Quinn grabbed Grady’s other hand. I had a firm grip on his hand and he squirmed. 

“Ow!” Quinn yelped and I loosened my grip a little.

I had to remember not to tell Grady or Quinn about Kelsey. They would have a meltdown, and that’s the last thing I needed, sinking ship or not. 

“Don’t let go of our hands, okay?” I told the twins, trying to keep my voice level. Even the slightest hint of panic and the two six year olds have a panic attack. And as of then, I did not want that happening. Both of the boys nodded, and Grant looked me in the eyes. Though he was older, though in these sort of situations, I was the more level headed and in control.

I walked out of the room, locking it behind us. Just for safety. I then walked down the hallway, all three boys not far behind, all connected by the chain of hands. The door to the left of our room opened and the two girls, Penny and the other little girl walked out. Penny stopped, her face showing slight recognition.

“Weren’t you the one girl…? Um… Raini was your name, right?”

I nodded, noticing that the little girl next to her didn’t have on a lifejacket.

“We’re going above deck. They say that the Unsinkable Ship is going to sink! It’s absurd!”

“I heard. Why doesn’t she have a lifejacket on?” I looked at the little girl.

“Oh… Mother and Father took two, then I had one. There weren’t enough for Candi.”

“We have an extra lifejacket on hand in my room. Wait here, I’ll grab it.” I said, unlocking the door to our room and running in to it. I grabbed the lifejacket out of the closet. Even if it were meant for Kelsey, at least another girl was getting a chance at safety. If, of course, the ship was actually sinking.

I ran back out. I had already wasted two minutes in getting the lifejacket, and I couldn’t wait for Candi to put it on. I grabbed Grady’s hand again. Then I took Penny’s hand. She looked down at Candi as the little girl took the hand that I didn’t have in my grasp.

Then we  made the run.