7. Mika

Everything happened in a daze; starting with the vacant streets, Mikaela seeing himself as the only visible person around. The scenery white and dusty, it'd be hard to notice one other in the distance. However, his eyes permitted him as he walked ahead. He noticed a body in the snow and hurried over.

The approach to it struck a vein, realization hitting him harder than bat hitting a baseball at 100 mph.

It was Yuichiro.

The boy he'd avoided going to school to see; the boy who'd become his prey. What are the odds they would encounter each other out here? In the middle of a blizzard.

What was he doing there, though? Why was he out and about in this weather with nothing heavy on to keep him warm? What an idiot. He's bound to get sick.

"Yuu-chan?"

"Mika..."

The only words that were exchanged between the two boys before one happened to fall unconcious, falling deep into the snow.

"Yuu??" Mika's eyes widened and he got to his knees, shaking him frantically, but the boy wouldn't wake. When realizating he was deeply out, the blonde instantly acted and put his fingers to Yuu's wrist. He had a pulse, but it was weak and threatening.

Weirdly, the drug Mikaela gave him seemed to still be affecting him, making him vulnerable to this storm and lessening his chance to live out in it.  This was so dangerous and reckless, it had the him on edge.

"Damnit." Mika cursed outloud, unhappy about the hazard this situation carried. He carefully picked the teenager up into his arms, knowing that he could die out here if he continued to lay in the cold, even though he deserved to suffer in what he so idiotically chose to be out in.

It was odd; as he walked home with Yuu dangling in his arms, having nearly no warmth in his body at all, the boy managed to snuggle up to him and stuff his face into the crook of Mikaela's neck. And, he stayed like that the rest of the way, fists finding their way to tightly clutch on Mika's shirt.

He was acting like he was afraid of something; possibly the grim reaper who was after him right now.

When they arrived to Mika's house, the vampire sneakily carried him to his bedroom and tucked him into the large bed of his, his scarlet bedspread tugging that body so cozily.

The rest of the day was dreadful. Mika wouldn't allow himself to leave, having developed a concern about this human who'd appear to have a strong fever. His head hot and face flushed, he looked so unwell and beat.

Mika was settled in a bronze chair that was brought to the side of the bed, keeping eye on Yuu so boredly. He concentrated on the rather appealing aspects of the boys face, loving the way his eyebrows would knit while he was probably dreaming, occasionally stirring in his sleep and clinging to the blanket. He would muffle out incoherent words, frustration and anger lingering off his tongue. How amusing it was to be seeing all of this.

What kind of life did Yuu live? He would wonder. Did he have many friends? Perhaps, a girlfriend? He did seem awfully close to that girl with purple hair, after all.

Was very smart? Or academically challenged? And, was he close to his family? When Mika ran into that guy (who he assumed was his dad) the night before, it almost seemed as if he and Yuu were very distant to each other. Was Yuu a troubled kid?

Mikaela pondered for hours and hours, eyes resting on the human the whole time with ease. Until suddenly, at about ten at night, a phone went off. It was coming from Yuu, the most basic ringtone being played.

"Hello?"

Okay, yes it was very rude to take someone's phone and answer a call without their consent, but what else was Mika to do? Maybe it was an emergency call.

"Who are you?" The person on the other line asked with a huff, voice slightly familiar.

With a scoff, Mikaela sassily replied with, "I think that should be my line. Why'd ya dial this number without knowing who you are calling?"

"I know exactly who I'm calling," Impatience and anger lingered of the mans tongue; he seemed quite unhappy. "Where's my son?"

Oh, it was Yuu's daddy again!

"Yuu-chan? He's... He managed to pass out, so I took him to my house." Mika kept it simple, leaning back in his chair while he waited for a reply.

There was some arguing going on in the background for a moment before a deep sigh was heard along with an angry mutter saying, "Dumbass. I thought he stopped all of this excessive drinking."

Mika frowned deeply at that; it seemed that Yuichiro had a very unhealthy relationship with his dad. He didn't even pass out from drinking; he was sick. Mika didn't mention that, though.

"Would you like to come get him?" He offered in a rude manner, not happy with how his prey was being treated. He passed out, for gods sake! He was so ill, too. His dad was being such a dickhead.

"No, he can learn his lesson and walk home when he wakes up. He's on his own."

Asshole. Asshole. Asshole!

"But-"

"Don't bother defending him. Let him know I called when he wakes up, okay? Goodbye."

Mika clenched his jaw and slammed the phone down on the desk. "What a jerk your father is, Yuu."

He leaned forward and smiled softly at him, brushing back a strand of hair that was in his face. "I can be here to care for you, ya know? The only thing I'd need in exchange is-"

Yuu began to show signs of waking up just then, making Mika shut his mouth yet smile again when seeing his eyes open.