Two of A Kind

Arthur went into the kitchen to make a pot of coffee, stepping over Wade to reach the coffee maker. As he waited for the coffee, he put some bread in the toaster and grabbed an orange and some jam from the fridge. He had finished his breakfast and had the last bite of orange in his mouth when his phone beeped.

He stepped over his dog again, almost tripping over him, and picked up his phone. Apparently the battery had run down during the night. He plugged the phone in, checking the time. 8am.

Looking around, he knew the only real chores he had to do today was to tidy up the house, wash his clothes, and look at getting a bookshelf. He had not unpacked much of his things since he moved in years ago. Sure, most of his clothes were unpacked and some other essentials like his beloved coffee maker and telly, but he started at his job just after moving in. His life seemed almost entirely made up of his work, then returning home only to recover from the fatigue that his job gave him.

He took his time in the shower, humming along to a song he remembered from childhood. His eyes opened in shock as he remembered a quiet voice whispering to him, but he was unable to place the exact words. All he could tell was that it felt important.

His mind turned to Emrys again, remembering he hadn't checked his text messages since the night before. Arthur stepped out of the shower and changed into some comfortable slacks and a sweater for his outing later. He picked up clothes around the flat as he made his way to the living area where his phone was charging. He put all the clothes in a basket by the washer, taking a look at the fairly clean floor that had been underneath all the clothes.

Satisfied, he started his load of laundry and decided to text Emrys.

Good morning. -Sent

You're up early. -Emrys

It's 9am, that's not very early. Are you not a morning person? -Sent

Wouldn't say that, I just didn't peg *you* as a morning person. -Emrys

I'm not, but it gives me more time during the day if I wake up at the same time consistently. -Sent

Do you wanna do something today? -Emrys

Arthur was taken aback, he had figured that the boy was only tolerating him at this point.

"Guess not," Arthur muttered to himself.

Yeah, sure. What did you have in mind? - Sent

A few minutes passed, long enough time for Arthur to grow uncomfortable. Eventually, he sought out his dog to play fetch with him from his spot on the couch. After a few tosses he got a notification, and he patted the couch for the dog to sit with him. Wade jumped up and flopped across his lap, Arthur laughed as he pried his arms from under the dog's heavy body.

Did you have anything you had to do today? -Emrys

Not really, just go to the shops, see about maybe getting a bookshelf. Why? -Sent

How about I go with you? -Emrys

It would probably be boring. -Sent

What's your address? I can head over now. I'm walking about, anyway. -Emrys

Arthur sent the address, a little nervous about sending his home address to a relative stranger but swallowed his suspicions as unfolded his clothes drying racks for when his clothes finished washing. He wanted to put the racks outside, but the cold westher forbade it. It wasn't until after he got halfway through an episode of Twin Peaks, hanging his clothes as he watched, that he heard a knock at the door.