Double Celebration

Começar do início

"You'll be okay," I say. "I'll be fine. And those jerks who are laughing at us will have the tables turned on them shortly." 

"Angel...I don't know," Manik says unsurely. "Anything can happen." 

"Don't worry," I say with a steady tone. "Nothing will happen. Let's do this." I stare right into Manik's orbs with utter surety. Sighing with defeat, he gives a nod of his head. Grinning, I squeeze his hands. "I love you." Lifting myself onto my toes I lay a quick peck on Manik's lips.

"I won't let you down." My husband says, pulling me into his chest. He kisses the top of my head, his lips lingering there for a few seconds.

"We're doing it!" I announce, turning around to face Dhruv. His face falls momentarily, the sight making me smile. Oh, he didn't expect us to accept the challenge. 

"Great!" He says, recovering from the shock. 

*****

"Don't move," Manik instructs for the tenth time in the past five minutes. "I'll remain a good distance away from your body, but even if you feel like I'm getting too close for comfort, don't fucking move." I nod my head in understanding.

"Manik, breathe. In and out," I say, smiling. "I know you're going to bring me out of this without a scratch." 

"Angel, we can back out right this instant. There's no pressure to do this." 

"Oh for God's sake, Manik, we're going to go through with this and come out victorious." I place my hands on Manik's palms, hoping the feel of mine will ease the tremors that are still running through them.

"Let's go, man." Cabir says, nodding in the direction of Manik's car. "The sooner we end this the sooner we can get away from the filth here." Nodding, Manik envelopes me into a tight embrace.

"Don't be scared," he whispers. Although these words are being said to assure me, I have a feeling he's trying to comfort himself more than anything. "A minute and we're done. It'll be all over." 

"Go," I urge, taking a step back. I know the dangers of this so called experiment. If Manik loses control of the car for even a split second it will come crashing into my side, and considering the speed he will be maintaining, I doubt I will live to tell the tale. And yet, quite frankly there's not a single fearful or nervous bone in my body, simply because I'm not lying when I say I have the utmost faith in my husband - probably even more than I have in myself. He has proven himself time and again as my protector, and tonight will simply be another such instance.

Manik opens the driver's side door, stopping momentarily. His head turns in my direction, his eyes watching me with nothing but fear. A man who's extremely confident about his driving skills is doubting them today for me. I smile in disbelief at the recollection of Manik saying he can't love because if this isn't love then I don't know what is. I take myself back to the day when he was willing to brave the rough waters of the river to save my life, without once allowing himself to consider the risk he was putting himself in.

"I love you." I mouth, showing Manik a thumbs-up. He nods, but the tension on his face doesn't evaporate for even a second. Tearing his eyes away from mine with great effort, Manik gets into his car and shuts the door. His hands appear at the top of the steering wheel, his knuckles going white. Manik's eyes are now back on mine - it's almost as if he can see no one or nothing else here tonight. 

I break eye contact momentarily to see that I'm positioned on the X Manik has drawn with chalk dust underneath my feet. I fear that if I budge even an inch my man will undergo a heart attack. Satisfied, I return my gaze back to Manik's black orbs. He's still staring at me. 

"I really hope you make it out alive." Dhruv yells from the side. His words land against me like wooden arrows against a steel shield. 

"I'm sure you do," I mumble. Manik's headlights turn on as he starts up the engine. 

"He's got this!" Eva's comforting voice comes from my left. 

"Best of luck, man." Cabir tells Manik, stepping away from the car. Manik flexes his fingers once more before returning his death grip on the leather of the wheel. My Devil still hasn't broken eye contact from me. He revs the engine, the wheels kicking up great plumes of sand. 

Aiyappa, please don't let us down tonight, I pray as Manik releases his foot from the brake pedal, the car coming towards me at a speed that would make even the bravest turn around and run. His gaze is still intently fixed on mine. Manik's vehicle zooms past me as sand enters my nose and throat. The side mirror of the vehicle is so close to my body that if I reach out towards my side I can easily touch it. 

Although I turn to follow the movements of the car, I ensure that my feet are firmly planted on the X. Surprisingly, the Devil is still watching me. His hands jerk the wheel towards the left at once, the car smoothly curving around the other side of my body. The heat of the vehicle hits my body as Manik heads past the front of my figure, the sand in the air making me squint my eyes. 

Manik turns the car towards the right to complete the second curve, and as he comes into my line of sight I realize he's watching me again. A smile of disbelief breaks out across my lips. My Devil is so talented that he doesn't even have to watch the road and yet he was doubting himself. Unbelievable! Manik's car curves around my figure once more, his eyes not once leaving mine. I continue to follow the car's path until he effortlessly parks the vehicle in front of my body.

Without wasting even a second, Manik throws open the car door and comes rushing towards me. 

"That was - " I'm cut short by the impact Manik's body causes against mine. Unable to bear his weight, I stumble back a few steps. "Amazing!" I complete, my grin stretching from ear to ear. 

"You're okay," Manik says, almost as if he's unable to believe this. "You're okay," he repeats. I rest my head against Manik's chest as his hand caresses the back of my head, while his other arm forms a tight barrier around my back. "You're okay." 

"We did it," I say, not having doubted this for even a second. "Can I just say, I told you so." Laughter erupts from both our throats. 

"I love you so fucking much for being alright," Manik whispers, kissing the top of my head. 

"That was bloody great, man!" Cabir exclaims, coming to our side. He claps Manik on the back, relief evident on his face. I break away from Manik, all thoughts of celebration seeping out of my mind. 

Did Manik say he loves me? I love you so fucking much for being alright. Am I hallucinating, or were those his exact words? A disbelieving laugh escapes my throat as I continuously replay Manik's words in my head. I shake my head in amazement. Did the Devil tell me he loves me? Unable to suppress it, a squeal of joy escapes my lips, drawing all our friends attention towards me.

"Same, Nandini, same." Cabir says, grinning.