Chapter 21 - Understand Me

Authors Note - please be kind, I'm not a professional writer I do this as a hobby - Leave a vote/comment if you enjoy as every little bit helps

-

-

Chapter21 - The Bud - Understand Me

"Goodbyemy love," I say with still lips.

Therecomes a knock at the apartment door. I place a bud from my pocketbetween her rosy kissers.

"Freeat last," I mumble as the door begins to rattle.

Itcreaks ever so slightly as it moves. Then nothing. Everything pauses.The world's turn grinds to a stop. Now is the time, this glimpse ofstand-still, to plan for what's to come next. First I check thatLilly is gone. No sense in causing her more pain especially now thatshe's finally seen the light ahead. A finger beneath her nose tellsme all I need to know. But the question is what to do with my love,especially as an unknown figure is only moments away from discoveringher. With a gentle hand I remove the necklace I'd choked her withand slip it into my pocket. Sharply I reach for a piece of glasswhich resides directly in my range. With it, and gagging at thethought and action, I slice into her pale delicate skin. The pouringblood is almost enough to make me faint. The picture of Jeremy'sseeping corpse sends shivers through me. It is the reason my lifeseems so stagnant and why the release of the pained takes longer thanI'd care for. Soon her blood is everywhere but I'm careful toback away enough so as not to get it on me directly.

"There..."I think.

"...That'llhide any fingerprints I might have left behind."

Ilook at the glass and then to Lilly who bleeds so violently acrossthe ground. Behind me and unconscious on the floor is a young manwho'd snuck into the apartment just before myself. When I saw howmuch rage he carried in him I almost thought myself obsolete. With aswift, precise, jab to the neck he fell under and there he stays. Isit beside him to give my thanks.

"I'msorry about this..."

Theneon banners from outside light his face like a billboard. I'mreluctant to realise that I know him. Softly I brush the shaggyfringe from his face and it's undeniable.

"...friend,"I finish.

Itsaddens me further that I have to abandon him as well. Not only haveI lost my love because of her fear but now I have to lose him toensure my continuation as the dealer of peace, as the Bud. My faceshrivels at the plan I've put into motion. The clock is ticking andmy time is growing scarce. With a huff I accept it. I do what must bedone. Carefully I hold the glass with my shirt and rub at any pointsat which I might have held it. Then I place it in his hand.

"Thenext bit might hurt a little but the hit I gave you earlier shouldmake you unaware of the pain, for the most part," I say as way ofan apology.

Ipush the glass as hard as I can into his palm and smoothly run itback and forth until there's a decent sized cut. Enough so to pointblame and blind whomever may be looking into any clues that might liedeeper, which could out me in this unexpected liberation of Lilly.I'm thrown aside in a thrust as he sits up suddenly with eyes widethat stare at me owl like. I panic for an instant until I notice acertain vacancy in his face. He's seeing but not processing. Helooks right at me with an accusing scowl. The focus then shifts awayfrom me and onto Lilly who he spots on the floor not far from wherehe sits. Next his hand comes under interest. Then Lilly. Then hishand. He darts between them both in a frantic twitch that sets myteeth on edge.

"Anysecond now he could wake up and the game's done," I think.

"Juststop laughing at me !" He yells.