Chapter 18 - The Whispers Of Dandelions

Authors Note - please be kind, I'm not a professional writer I do this as a hobby - Leave a vote/comment if you enjoy as every little bit helps

-

-

Chapter18 - Lilly Downing - The Whispers Of Dandelions

Michaelvanishes behind Lil as she dashes the corner. The rain storms outsidewith vicious lashings against the building while Flynn sprints downthe stairs with a steady footing she wishes she could duplicate. Lilchases after him with a more careful tread. Even the leaking puddlethat turns the steps into a melody of potential broken bones doesn'tslow him. With every tap of her feet on the hard floor she swearscurses to her sister. Twice now she's played with this man'sfeelings. Twice now he's been hurt by her callousness. Twice nowshe herself has had to sort it out.

"Iran out on Michael !" She thinks.

Herfeet continue to follow Flynn but her mind reaches back to Michaelwho must be overwhelmed in confusion.

"Wait.What am I doing ? Why am I chasing Flynn ? Why am I trying to makethis right ? I'm not even the one who's caused this trouble. Whythen is it my responsibility ?"

Shethrows question after question to her conscience, pleading for anescape of innocence. No matter how many times she tries to convinceherself of the pointlessness of this chase the more her mind condonesher for thinking it such. Before long they've made it to the frontentrance and with a hearty tackle to the door she's startled to findthat Flynn has stopped. There's a distinct line where the rain'sangle can't pass. It creates an odd looking change across thepavement. On one side is the raging waters, spitting sideways withfrightful force. That side would be quite perilous to try and crossin its current condition. On their side stands Flynn, Lil and all theawkwardness that has now been formed. She can tell immediately thathe's at least considering the storm as his better option and it'snot until she speaks that he finally looks to her with the truth ofhis pain eminent in those ocean blue eyes.

"Flynn?" She says with a motherly concern.

Astheir gazes meet the damage can be seen. His eyes are red andhighlighted by the thin, refilling, film of water that covers them.He tries to swipe them clean but in doing so he only makes it worse.This sight alone is enough to put Lil in a guilt induced pity stare.For her this is a peculiar sense. Before now she has always been ableto empathise with those struggling around her, feel what they feel.But this time she can't. She doesn't understand him as sheassumed she would. There's something not quite relatable about him.A piece of him that makes him unique. It's for this reason Lilcan't do what she has always done. The only remaining feeling issympathy, the act of feeling sorry for someone elses predicament.

"Surelyhe's worth more than that ?"

Thetears flow as does the rain behind him. Misery, sadness but most ofall betrayal fall with his words like a weight on his spirit.

"Whycan't you love me ?" He asks in perfect innocence.

BeforeLil stands a man, a fully grown human being, who's only wish is tobe loved as he loves. It nearly breaks her heart to not feel as hewants. This man who has poured his soul to her as a glass of springwater to a thirsty stranger. She, the traveller, slaps it away withonly a passing thought. A thought of only herself. Even now as heoffers it again she can't take it. It's... he's not somethingshe can accept so easily. She thinks back to her kiss with Michaeland how transcendent that moment was. Never has she felt a lovetowards someone as that. In their embrace they could see each otheras the hurting, misunderstood minds they are and this is reasonenough for Lil to feel a love for him. A sensation she's neverthought to feel as it does. In that she knows Michael is the one tobe with and in that she knows why Flynn seems so foreign to her.Simply put he's not Michael, and that ultimately is reason enough.With the answer to his question being too convoluted, and too painfulfor him to hear, she responds with the simplicity of the definite.