Chapter 7 - The Rainy Clouds

Authors Note - please be kind, I'm not a professional writer I do this as a hobby - Leave a vote/comment if you enjoy as every little bit helps

-

-

Chapter7 - Michael Standom - The Rainy Clouds

Theusually predictable routine of Michael's workaday life has begun toslip from its place of solid foundations. Since the closing of AngelDolls, life has seemed to slow to a snail's pace. Although hisunfaltering body clock still wakes him at the early hours of themorning, there's now no reason to go through the mundane rush toget to work. Instead he lies in bed for an extra hour or so, notsleeping but simply letting the time pass. Purposelessness lays nextto him, holding him tight in a loving embrace. Every time he triesmoving to get up from the depressing boredom, she grunts and caresseshis cheek whispering.

"Staya little longer."

Andhe does. He lets the clock on his bedside table count the minutesaway as he keeps procrastination company. There just doesn't seemto be a reason to leave the bed. The sun continues to move up and themorning floats past like driftwood in a sea of stillness. When atlast hunger, rather than enthusiasm, forces him from the bed there isnothing but the blankest of expressions in his eyes. At the breakfasttable the roses have wilted. Their petals falling to the table make ared splash across the single seated wooden stand. He chews his cerealwith robotic singularity as Angelique watches him from her high nest.She continues her comforting smile and as Michael spots her she seemsto focus on him. There's a reassurance in the way she presides overhim like a mother over her babe. As he looks to her the cogs in hismind begin to turn again, breathing life into his silence. Somethingin her presence brings forward a spell of hopefulness. A glimmer ofpositivity that takes him away from the darkness and into the lightof optimism. It's now that Michael stands from his seat, knockingthe table unintentionally with his leg.

"AngelDolls is my work. It's my dream. I'm not gonna let some fat assedbanker take it away."

Hiswords are strong and for a moment he believes something can be doneto save his store. He leaves the soggy muesli at the table and setshimself to the task of getting ready to go see Mr. Well. Just as hereaches the frame of the bedroom he hears a noise from next doorwhich stops his determined walk and instead leads him to his frontdoor. He doesn't open the barrier but presses his ear against itand immediately a voice can be heard through the thick wood.

"Thatgirl. She needs to get it done. Then, move on."

Thevoice is instantly recognisable. It's Kelly. By the sound of it onher way out the building.

"Allthis waiting. It's not healthy, for either of them," she says asher voice fades from the hallway.

Michaellooks to his watch, ten to midday it reads.

"Damn,"he thinks.

"It'snot going to be possible for me to catch Mr. Well before he heads offfor lunch."

Aslight shine catches his eye. On the counter next to the door are thekeys to the shop. As if she might be responsible for the glimmeringsign he gives Angelique a smile of thanks and takes the keys as heonce again heads to the bedroom to dress in as respectable manor asavailable.

Ittakes only ten minutes to don a smart suit and tie. As he seeshimself in the mirror it's clear that for the first time in a longwhile he gives the appearance of strength. No longer does he have thepresentation of the overly stereotyped geek with vest jumper andglasses. He suddenly projects confidence. All an illusion, as Michaelfears, but nonetheless perhaps this illusion will be enough of adistraction to force Mr. Well to change his ill fated decision.Without Angel Dolls Michael is at a loss as to what to do with thedays that start to merge together. There's an emptiness creepingin, and with every fibre in his body he fights against it, summing upstern power from the corners of his being that seem thus faruntouched. Strength beyond his timid, selfless, exterior.