Chapter 20 - The Cold Few

Mulai dari awal

Ican't tell if I'm being serious or not but when he laughs itdecides for the both of us.

"Sowhat makes you think you can just sneak away without me Gramps ?"

Irun my hands through what little hair I have, and like a sprinklerthe water flies off only to be replaced less than a flick later.

"Thishasn't got anything to do with the Bud, Skippy. Just dropping offsome papers to a friend," I say in the hopes he'll hop back inhis young man's car and be on his way.

It's,as expected, a useless moment longer spent in the rain. As soon as mylips have let the last words fly I already know too well his answer.

"Nota chance Gramps," he smiles.

"I'velearnt far too much from you already. So if you think I'm lettingyou do anything police related without me beside you watching withmassive beady eyes, you got another thing coming."

Forreasons that escape me I pursue the argument further.

"It'snothing. You really don't need to come."

Weexperience a freeze where neither he nor I know what to say next. Thenight has already begun and with the added blindness of the stormwe're left in the dark. We stand just next to the shelter of my carand yet neither of us dares to step inside without a conclusion tothis pointless conversation first being reached. It's then hecompliments me and puts the matter to rest.

"Igotta learn as much as I can from you Gramps. From what I've seenif I can be half the detective you are then I'll hit police chiefin no time."

Helooks away at the last minute to avoid my surprised and somewhatconfused gaze. It takes me a decent amount of time before I realisehe's actually being genuine. The question now is how to moveforward. Do I say thanks ? Or does that make it sound like I'mdeserving of the praise ? Can I shoot the gesture down with cold,hard facts ? I could always just talk about my failures. My failedmarriage, drinking problem and a host of other odds and sods thathold me back from being the mentor he deserves.

"AlrightSkippy, get in the damn car," I tell him.

Hegives me a childish grin and although I don't let him see, I waituntil he's disappeared into the scrappy metal, it makes me smilesomething fierce as well. Waiting till the smirk fades I hop in thecar with him, careful of course not to sit on the papers I'd thrownin.

"Sowho exactly are we gonna go see ?" He starts again now that theawkwardly sweet moment is over.

"We'redropping off some information for a girl I met in the park."

Hegives me a nudge on the shoulder.

"Agirl you met in the park aye ?" He says with a laughableinsinuation.

"Sheseemed in distress when I met her so I offered her my services," Imumble back while trying to sound as gentlemanly as possible.

"Afuture Mrs. Maccarth ?"

Ishift the wedding ring on my finger. It catches the light of eachstreet lamp as we drive past them.

"Nothing'sofficial with Jillian just yet."

Idon't want to say that I still care for her as much now as I didthe day I fell for her. That's a place of vulnerability I'm notquite ready for with Wesley. She may be mad at me and maybe I'm madat her too but I'll win her back, I know I can.

"Wellremember to use protection. Oh and go for a kiss on the neck first,girls love that," he laughs.

Mypatience suddenly wears thin.